Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 Parking Space Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's our project for logic circuits class:

A building has 12 parking spaces. The owner of the car wants to know if there's an open space by looking at the "LED parking lot lights" displayed outside the building.

In addition, the car owner wants to know when two adjacent spaces are open as he/she does not want anyone to park next to their car. Normally, this person parks at the end of a large parking lot to avoid any scrapes or scratches.

The system must have one logic indicator to activate if two adjacent spaces become open, another logic indicator to activate if three adjacent spaces are open. The "LED parking lot lights" must also display the number of available parking spaces using seven segment displays.

Use IR transmitter/receiver to determine the presence of the car.

Any ideas on how to make the project?

I'm still new to logic circuits and this is my first project involving logic circuits so I really have no idea how to do this project but here's what I think:

There are 3 outputs:
LED A - Indication that three adjacent parking spaces are emtpy
LED B - Indication that two adjacent parking spaces are empty
Seven Segment LED - Indication of how many parking spaces are empty

I should represent the 12 parking spaces as inputs that is either logic high for occupied parking, and logic low for unoccupied parking.
If there are three adjacent logic-0 the circuit will have an output to LED A and if there are two adjacent the circuit will have an output to LED B. I'm thinking of prioritizing the LED A first, if LED A is turned on LED B will not turn on. LED B will only turn on if LED A is off.

As for the seven segment LED, I'm still thinking about what to do about it.

Can you use sequential logic in your design (counters, shift-registers, flip-flops, etc.)? If so that could simplify the logic.

Otherwise you can use a series a 2-input NOR gates to indicate when adjacent spaces are empty.

Parking.jpg
I am extremely new to this and i had a play around with few logic gates, i think this would probably want some resistors to reduce the current in the circuit and instead of switches you would have a type of sensor but hey i enjoyed this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back