100uF Ceramics - Capacitance at higher voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't explain it, but it's happy with an 330uF or 470uF electrolytic, even if the SRF and ESR say it should be otherwise. A smaller capacitor which theoretically would give a better SRF for the 380Khz Buck doesn't work well at all.

I'm unable to explain why it works better (though since I don't have proper 100uF/25v MLCC's it's hard to compare). Possibly because an MLCC only has 1/4-8 of it's capacitance close to rated value.

Doesn't the SRF assume a full discharge/charge cycle?

The Series Resonant Frequency (SRF) will be fine: it is nowhere near the frequency of interest ie 100Hz.

I haven't worked out the impact of the effective series resistance (ESR) but feel sure that will be fine too.

If what I say is incorrect please show calculations as they apply to the OP's application in hand

(see post #52)

spec

The new capacitors arrived. The ESR is higher and doesn't allow for 1A at 50Hz on the testbed, but in real-life 1A will only be available at a higher frequency so it's not an issue.

For a future revision I will investigate using a second PCB full of 100uF 16v ceramics, two in series, 400uF total, if I can secure the spec and authenticity. I don't get burnt twice!

Thanks, A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…