Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100nF is equal to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so micro is .1uF right?

No.

The 'u' in 'uF' is supposed to be a 'µ', meaning 'micro'. So 1 microfarad is 1µF is 1uF.

For your original question, micro is greater than nano is greater than pico. So 100nF is not going to be 0.1pF--that would be backward. 100nF is 0.1uF or 100000pF.

One microfarad is one-millionth of a Farad, and is therefore 0.000001F--or more easily written as 1uF.

One nanofarad is one billionth of a Farad, so it would take one thousand nanofarads to make one microfarad. One nanofarad is 1nF or 0.001uF.

One picofarad is one trillionth of a Farad, so it would take one thousand picofarads to make one nanofarad. One picofarad is 1pF or 0.001nF.

Perhaps the following would be useful (Google and Wikipedia often are): pico- - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,

Torben

Check out the wikipedia page for SI prefixes, that might help you understand. These prefixes apply to all SI Units as well, not just farads.

Commonly-used 1000-fold orders of magnitude:

tera- x1,000,000,000,000
giga- x1,000,000,000
mega- x1,000,000
kilo- x1,000
(unit)
milli- x0.001
micro- x0.000,001
nano- x0.000,000,001
pico- x0.000,000,000,001

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
One thing: don't use milli-Farads, mF.

Some old schematics and components have mF instead of µF.

So I use µF for values up to 99,999µF and F for values > 0.1F or 100,000µF.

What's the reason for not using mF? I had noticed that it never appeared to be mentioned even when it seemed appropriate; does it clash with a different term mF?

As I've said, old schematics use mF to denote micro-Farads.

Some countries don't have the "µ" in their alphabet. So mF and µF could be mixed up easily.

As I've said, old schematics use mF to denote micro-Farads.

Sorry, I misunderstood your explanation. You said some old schematics use mF rather than µF, I didn't realise you meant they used mF to *mean* microfarads.

Boncuk said:
Some countries don't have the "µ" in their alphabet. So mF and µF could be mixed up easily.

Thanks for the clarification Boncuk.

Last edited:
And before SI prefixes were standardized those old schematics used "mmF" for micro-micro Farads also known as pico Farads in modern parlance.

Thank You.....I think visual, not technical. If I can get a picture in my mind...I won't forget it..and I understand it...Technical ( just a bunch of #'s ) don't work well with me.

Thanks Everyone....Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back