Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working with Shift Registers and a PIC help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I got it working im so happy haha now I finally can move on to the overall project thanks alot guys for your help and patience. Also can you explain INDF and FSR a little and how I go about setting things to the FSR and reading it from the INDF. Im sure I will be using it later as my code gets longer and I need to simplify things a little and as you said I will need it to go above basic's.

Ok I got it working im so happy haha now I finally can move on to the overall project thanks alot guys for your help and patience. Also can you explain INDF and FSR a little and how I go about setting things to the FSR and reading it from the INDF. Im sure I will be using it later as my code gets longer and I need to simplify things a little and as you said I will need it to go above basic's.
Here's the super simple explanation: Load FSR with the address of the value you want to read/write. Then when you read/write INDF you're actually reading what's stored at the byte pointed to by FSR. It's called indirect addressing. With it you can step through bunches of variables by incrementing (or decrementing) the FSR each time you read/write. In my 4x4x4 program I use it to point to the correct set of cathode variables. They're in pairs, so I just add 2 to FSR each time the "ISR" routine hits (of course resetting to the beginning every 4 times).

Note how I load a variable's address into W (not what's stored there, but the address of the variable) and then move W into the FSR reg.
Code:
	movlw	cath1a		;cathode pointer storage
	movwf	FSR
Then I can use INDF to read that variable, and by simply incrementing FSR I can access successive variables.
Code:
mloop	movf	offset,w	;get a byte of new pattern
	call	patt3
	movwf	INDF
	incf	offset,f	;increment pointers
	incf	FSR,f

Last edited:
ok thanks alot thanks alot one problem though is FSR only shows up as a variable when typed in like movwf FSR all have to fiddle around anyways its getting late thanks alot once again for the help everything is working now with no problems

Quick simple question since I have everything working now I'm trying to use rrf to move the 1 over to the right '10000000' with this string now basically I wanted the LED's to go around the outside once then go down to the next layer then do it again here is my code will this work at all ? I just don't know if the rrf is moving what it does into temp ?

Code:
	#include <P12F509.inc>
	__CONFIG _MCLRE_ON & _WDT_OFF & _IntRC_OSC

cblock	0x07
	count,temp
	dc1
	dc2
	dc3
	count1
	rot
	endc

org	0x000
main	        movlw	b'11001000'	;clear T0CS for output on GPIO2
		option
		movlw	b'00001000'	;set pins to all outs
		tris	GPIO
		movlw	.08
		movwf	count1
upperla	movlw	b'10000000'	; Shifts out all 8 bits to second shift register for the layer's
		movwf	temp
		call	shift5
		movlw	b'1000000'
		movwf	rot
		rlf		rot,f ; Shifts out 8 bits to the first shift register lighing one led every loop
		movwf	temp
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	upperla
		call	latch
midla	        movlw	b'01000000'
		movwf	temp
		movlw	b'1000000'
		movwf	rot
		rlf		rot,f ; Shifts out 8 bits to the first shift register lighing one led every loop
		movwf	temp
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	midla
		call	latch
lowerla	movlw	b'01000000'
		movwf	temp
		movlw	b'1000000'
		movwf	rot
		movwf	temp
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	lowerla
		call	latch

goto	main

Last edited:
Quick simple question since I have everything working now I'm trying to use rrf to move the 1 over to the right '10000000' with this string now basically I wanted the LED's to go around the outside once then go down to the next layer then do it again here is my code will this work at all ? I just don't know if the rrf is moving what it does into temp ?
Huh? You have no RRF's in that piece of code. Nope, not a single one. :p Neither RLF in that code puts anything in temp. Both of them rotate the high bit of rot into the Carry.

I see more problems too. Here you're loading rot each time thru the loop and then rotating one bit into the carry. Then you load it again and shift the high bit again. What is that supposed to accomplish?

Also, you're loading a 7-bit value on the red line. Did you mean to load '01000000'? Because that's what you're doing. You probably missed a zero.
Code:
midla	        movlw	b'01000000'
		movwf	temp
[COLOR="Red"]		movlw	b'1000000'[/COLOR]
		movwf	rot
		rlf		rot,f

Last edited:
I did I just didn't update the code here I forgot to im trying to just cycle it though so I don't have to type all the lines of code I was just thinking I could use rrf to rotate the high bit 8 times to the right and each time it moves it moves it back into temp and runs the shift5 so it basically cycles though all 8 LED's on each layer one layer at a time so it does what you have on yours but with less lines allowing me to make more patterns ? can you help me come up with the code ? im using 2 shift registers so here is the updated code I don't know what to put after the rlf line and the first string is what layer is on

Code:
	#include <P12F509.inc>
	__CONFIG _MCLRE_ON & _WDT_OFF & _IntRC_OSC

cblock	0x07
	count,temp
	dc1
	dc2
	dc3
	count1
	rot
	endc

org	0x000
main	movlw	b'11001000'	;clear T0CS for output on GPIO2
		option
		movlw	b'00001000'	;set pins to all outs
		tris	GPIO
		movlw	.08
		movwf	count1
		movlw	b'10000000'
		movwf	rot
upperla	movlw	b'10000000'	; Shifts out all 8 bits to second shift register for the layer's
		movwf	temp
		call	shift5
		?
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	upperla
		call	latch
midla	movlw	b'01000000'
		movwf	temp
		?
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	midla
		call	latch
lowerla	movlw	b'00100000'
		movwf	temp
		?
		call	shift5
		movlw	.05
		call	delay10
		decfsz	count1,f
		goto	lowerla
		call	latch

goto	main

Last edited:
I'm trying to just cycle it though so I don't have to type all the lines of code. I was just thinking I could use rrf to rotate the high bit 8 times to the right and each time it moves it moves it back into temp and runs the shift5 so it basically cycles though all 8 LED's on each layer one layer at a time so it does what you have on yours but with less lines allowing me to make more patterns?
I don't know what you're talking about. You'll have to explain what you mean more clearly. What does shift5 do?

It sounds like you want to "multiplex" each LED individually. You might get that to work on a very small display, but more likely it'll either be very dim or it'll flicker badly.

How do you build a LED cube with 8 LEDs per layer? Is it rectangular?

can you help me come up with the code?
No. Write your own code. :D:D:D You sound like those guys that PM me all the time trying to get me to do their homework for them. :p

Last edited:
No haha I didn't mean it that way im just not sure how to write the value that the rlf spits out to temp shift5 is the start of the engine that takes the 8 bits and sends each bit to the shift register haha you wrote some of the code I just changed it to my needs basically I want to do what you did with your 4x44 cube starting on the top layer lighting each LED one at a time hence the rlf to move the high bit over one to the right then go to the next layer and do the same and so on for the three layers I have a 3x3x3 cube make any sense ?

I'm just not sure how to write the value that the rlf spits out to temp.
An RLF command doesn't spit out any value. It rotates the bits in the target byte (rot?) through the carry. So after an RLF, rot is still rot, only one of its bits is in the carry and the rest have shifted over by one bit.

shift5 is the start of the engine that takes the 8 bits and sends each bit to the shift register. Haha. You wrote some of the code. I just changed it to my needs basically.

I want to do what you did with your 4x4x4 cube starting on the top layer lighting each LED one at a time. Hence the rlf to move the high bit over one to the right then go to the next layer and do the same and so on for the three layers
I think I kind of see what you're trying to do (maybe). You want to "multiplex" each LED individually. You might get that to work on a very small display, but more likely it'll either be very dim or it'll flicker badly.

But even that won't work, as you'd need 28 control lines. Common anode and one cathode per LED. That's a lot of wires! The reason for multiplexing is to reduce complexity (way fewer control wires).

Hmm... After thinking about it some more... I still don't get what you're trying to do there. You don't care about doing patterns? You just want to rotate bits and display them? Huh? And how are you handling your 9th bit (it's a 3x3 cube. 3x3 = 9)?

I have a 3x3x3 cube. Make any sense?
No. How do you build a LED cube with 8 LEDs per layer? Is it rectangular? :p

Last edited:
basically I want to do what you did with your 4x44 cube starting on the top layer lighting each LED one at a time
Or do you mean you want to enable one layer at a time (common anode or cathode) and then multiplex through all 9 LEDs one at a time before switching to the next layer?

That's crazy! Too much work. And the cube will be dim and/or flickery. You won't save any time or code size.

Do it right. Set up all bits for each level. Cycle through the levels quickly (multiplexing), setting the correct individual 9-bits of LED control lines for each level as they get enabled.

There's only 8 bits for this pattern because the inside/center Led is never on basically im just trying to cycle though the outside LED's one at a time on each layer so let me try to explain it better hence the rotation of the string of bits so I only need to have 4-10 lines of code per layer instead of writing the lines for each led to be turned on does this make any sense at all ? I need the rrf to move it so its like this as well there is too examples I used to try to explain it below only one led is on at all times but the rrf is used to move the high bit to the right and then I need something that puts the whole string into temp for it to be shifted out ?

-moves string into temp for LED 1 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 2 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 3 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 4 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 5 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 6 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 7 to go light up
-moves string into temp for LED 8 to go light up

-start of code/int
-first led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-second led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-third led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-forth led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-fith led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-sixth led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-seventh led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-eight led lit on top layer
-delay
-turns off
-first led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-second led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-third led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-forth led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-fith led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-sixth led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-seventh led lit on mid layer
-delay
-turns off
-eight led lit on mid layer

If you are just trying to cycle the LEDs in a layer, why not clock out a one and latch it to light the first LED. After the delay clock out a zero shifting the one in the shift register. Then latch, delay and repeat until the one has been shifted out of the shift register.

OK, I see this won't work if you've cascaded shift registers to get 12 bits of output.

Last edited:
There's only 8 bits for this pattern because the inside/center Led is never on basically im just trying to cycle though the outside LED's one at a time on each layer so let me try to explain it better hence the rotation of the string of bits so I only need to have 4-10 lines of code per layer instead of writing the lines for each led to be turned on does this make any sense at all ? I need the rrf to move it so its like this as well there is too examples I used to try to explain it below only one led is on at all times but the rrf is used to move the high bit to the right and then I need something that puts the whole string into temp for it to be shifted out?
OK, now I get what you were ranting about! :p What you want to do is do your RRF, then check the carry and change the high bit of the byte you RRFed to match ("move" the bit from the carry to the byte), then get the byte in W (movf rot,w) and store it in temp (movwf temp). Simple.

and then I need something that puts the whole string into temp for it to be shifted out?
Once again, a byte is NOT a string. It's a byte. :D

whats a good Shift Register where i can control a MINIMUM of 35 LED's? Today is shopping day lol

EDIT:

Alsot I need another shift register with a minimum of 9 outputs. Any Thoughts?

Last edited:
Im a little confused what I think your getting at is first RRF, then test the carry flag, then move the bit in the carry flag to w, then move w too temp ? something like that im a little confused about getting the byte from w and what not ? But other then this I have a few pattern's working right now im soon going to go to the 4x4x4 Cube in hopes of going bigger after that and probably upgrading the PIC

Last edited:
im going to try a 4x4x4 in about a week and a month after that ill try a 8x8x8. Thats 512 LEDs. Thats gonna be fun. Maybe (MAYBE) ill try a 16x16x16 or just make a large table top design to go under my table and a clear glass over it and have a moving table :D but if i do ill be sure to use multiple (2-RB or 3-RGB) color leds. for a table it would be so nice with PWM control so i can control dimness.

Nice I was going to do the same thing with the table but use some cheap bright red LED's with some motion sensor's/light sensor's to detect when something is placed on the table then light the led's under it something like that but I still need to understand what fuz is talking about haha

lol its funny i was going to use a blocked off light sensor like a photo resistor to determine if something is on the table. . The thing is i was goingg to make it look like a ball was bouncing around the table and when ever a object (light is blocked) it wil bounce off that surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back