Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring Up Power Supply to 64 1 watt LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

the kidson

Hello all...Ive been a registered lurker for a while....my first official post...my question is as follows....I am building a 64 1 watt LED array to be used as a work light....it will operate off 12V DC....i figured i will need a power supply of about 80 watts to power all the LEDS off a 12 v DC source...correct?..now my next question is..how exactly would i wire them up to the power supply?...i am just a bit clueless on this...so any point in the right direction is much appreciated...i thank you for your time....

thanks for your reply Brevor...much appreciated...i couldnt find a datasheet...they are being bought off eBay...but the info posted in the sale states the leds Forward voltage is 3.2 to 3.5v at 350mA....i apologize if this is a bit vague...as always thanks..

Looking at the data if we figure the led Forward voltage at about 3.33 volts with a forward current of 350 mA. You could place the LEDs in series with groups of 3 for a voltage of 10 volts. That would give us Vsupply 12 volts - Vled 10 volts = 2 volts. The current is .350 amp so we get 2 volts / .350 amp = 5.71 ohms. So you want about a 6 ohm 1 watt resistor for each series group of 3 LEDs. Making 21 combinations like this would give you 63 LEDs used. The current in each of 21 branch circuits would be .350 amp so you get .350 * 21 = 7.35 amps or figure 8 amps * 12 volts = 96 watts so figure you want a 12 volt 100 watt PSU source.

That is just a rough one way to think about going about it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back