Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WinXP+Firefox in 3 computers - Inconsistent behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Two PCs and one laptop, all running WinXP SP3 and the last version of Firefox.

To open the same page (access to my webmail):

One shows immediately the user name and the password.

The other waits for a click on the textbox and suggests the user name. Once inserted, the password is inserted as well.

The third, just does nothing. I have to type everything.

Tired of looking for wrongly tweaked settings I reinstalled Firefox, to no avail. Everything stays the same.

Hi atferrari

My XP SP3 and Firefox combo is also acting strangely lately. Seems to be that people want XP buried. Just my opinion.

Waiting to see what happens next :rolleyes:

Regards,
tvtech

I guess the first computer has had only one name + password combinatino stored, so it shows just that.
The second has more cobinations, so you need to choose first.
The third has automatic filling or saving of passwords (maybe just on that site) disabled.

Gracias for replying.

I guess the first computer has had only one name + password combinatino stored, so it shows just that.
The second has more cobinations, so you need to choose first.

The second just offers a single one: "atferrari"

What to check. How?

The third has automatic filling or saving of passwords (maybe just on that site) disabled.

After a fresh install? I selected nothing after it.

So, what to check? How?

Fresh install????

Did you remove all registry entries, all stored internet files, visible and hidden etc etc?

If not, it will just install the same way each time.

Just be thankful you are not using 7 or 8 or mountain lion :)

Firefox uses your stored existing preferences when you update it. So if your password-filling preferences are different on the three computers they will stay that way even if you re-install FF.

Edit: Go to Tools/Options/Security/[Exceptions] to change your preferences

Edit: Go to Tools/Options/Security/[Exceptions] to change your preferences

Been there. The "remember password" (for all - no exceptions) is/was checked to no avail.

Fresh install???? Did you remove all registry entries, all stored internet files, visible and hidden etc etc?

You are right; I did not. While I've been dealing with registers since long ago I am always fearing to do something wrong.

Could you list a sequence of tasks to make it a real fresh one? Gracias.

Additional comment:

What bothers me is that in all cases, FF changed by itself. I've had not tweaked anything on purpose.

Even more: very very seldom, the automatic filling worked a few times and then not anymore.

Could you list a sequence of tasks to make it a real fresh one? Gracias.

Backup your data, format hard drive and re-install :)

It is always quicker than trying to fix windows, and your machine will run fast again.

Windows 3.11 used to fly on a 486 100MHz, the other day I installed it on a machine with an SSD, works like a computer should!!! Hardware has gone forward, the software has kept things in the stoneage.

Backup your data, format hard drive and re-install

hi Sang,

I did the above on my second PC last week, its giving the same 'funnies' as my unchanged first PC.

Using XP Pro, F/F

Both PC's are giving the same problems as 'Agustín' has posted, started about week ago.??

Eric

hi Sang,

I did the above on my second PC last week, its giving the same 'funnies' as my unchanged first PC.

Using XP Pro, F/F

Both PC's are giving the same problems as 'Agustín' has posted, started about week ago.??

Eric

My comments werw aimed mainly at the idea of doing a "fresh" install, not so much at the funnies with firefox.

I often find I can not open sites with firefox, yet other browsers will open them. I have even worse problems with chrome. Usually I just use another browser for those odd sites, and later (I imagine after an update) firefox will work on them.

My comments werw aimed mainly at the idea of doing a "fresh" install, not so much at the funnies with firefox.

I often find I can not open sites with firefox, yet other browsers will open them. I have even worse problems with chrome. Usually I just use another browser for those odd sites, and later (I imagine after an update) firefox will work on them.

Thats what I did, a full format and CD re-install, it did not clear the problem with user names/log in.

I'm going to agree with tvtech.

Seems like XP, maybe a (bygone system) like Win98. We use Win7 at work, I don't mind using it, which surprises me.

However, Win8 say our IT guy's, isn't ready yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back