Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will recording like this hurt my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

I have a 12" Apple PowerBook. It doesn't have a mic jack, only a line in. If you use a mic straight to that you get basically no sound (duh). So, I've been using my little gem 1/2watt guitar amp as a preamp. I plug the mic into that, and then use the speaker out on that into my laptop. I monitor the levels on my laptop making sure I'm not peaking too much.

Here is the schematic for the little gem:
**broken link removed**

No, it should be no problem, the voltage output of the amp won't be very high anyway - if you really want to feel safe though, feed it via a resistor to the laptop.

What would be a safe voltage to run into the laptop? I've heard lineout voltages can vary from .5volts to 2 is that right?

Also, to test the voltage, can I just hook the positive of my multimeter to the + on the speaker out, and - to ground?

joecool85 said:
What would be a safe voltage to run into the laptop? I've heard lineout voltages can vary from .5volts to 2 is that right?

That range sounds about right!. Your laptop should handle those no problem, a tiny amp like that dosn't have enough ouput to damage anything. If you like, insert a 10kohm resistor in the signal lead.

Also, to test the voltage, can I just hook the positive of my multimeter to the + on the speaker out, and - to ground?

No, you need an AC millivoltmeter or a scope.

Ha, I'm fine. Here is what I found out for my laptop:

maximum input signal amplitude 2 Vrms (5.65 Vpp), +8 dbu peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back