Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why still use UV-erasable EPROM???

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidDum

I'm very frustrated with my current project with a microcontroller that use UV-erasable EPROM.
I gotta exposed the chip to UV for roughly 10 minutes in order to erase the chip. This is so time consuming and cumbersome!!!
I wonder why my boss don't choose EEPROM, flash.

StupidDum said:
I'm very frustrated with my current project with a microcontroller that use UV-erasable EPROM.
I gotta exposed the chip to UV for roughly 10 minutes in order to erase the chip. This is so time consuming and cumbersome!!!
I wonder why my boss don't choose EEPROM, flash.

Probably because you already have all the equipment required, and UV eraseable EPROM is a proven reliable system - FLASH hasn't been around long enough to have proven long term reliability.

Also, perhaps a touch of 'better the devil you know' :lol:

:wink:

Lol, wellcome to the wonderfull world of prehistoric PICS! :lol: You are lucky, some of the older pics, c73's seem to ring a bell, can take up to 30mins!!

Old dinosaurs like Nigel and I remember this "down time" well! :wink:

Ok there are some techniques to help you......

1: Buy at least 5 of the UV parts you need, this way while some are erasing, you can be using already blank parts.
2: Assure your boss that the total cost of 4 UV parts (JW) is MUCH chaper than paying you to sit and wait for the 1 chip to erase.
3: SLOW down on programming a part, try your code, were possible in the simulator (MPLAB or similar), it's amazing how much time this can save.
4: Try and persuade your boss to pay out for an in-circuit emulator...
5: Buy a "similar" flash part, develop the code on this, then re-hash/adjust to work on your JW part (probably the cheapest route!), for example there is a 16f73 that is compatible with the 16c73B, but an 16f876 is also very similar.
6: Chill out! , have a coffe and wait!

Another reason for using eeprom parts is that in the case of the f73 VS the c73, the c73 is more tolerant to mains-bourne noise..... Be carfull about telling your boss that an "F" part is better...... you may live to regret it! TEST ALL "upgrades" COMPLETLEY before deploying them, this is from bitter/expensive experience!!

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back