Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do i need gearbox ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

im planning to use gearbox for my robot

and im planning to build a simple robot ( eg ; obstacle avoider )

what kind of gearbox should i use ?

heres my list that avaible in my shop :

120:1
143:1
228:1

please suggest me :)

There are three basic cases for gear selection:

1) Reducing the speed range to a reasonable level.
2) Maximizing the acceleration.
3) Increasing the torque available to required level.

If you want to maximize the acceleration of your robot you need to carefully calculate the gear ratio. Other cases are more trivial.
In your case: Just pick one and if it works ok, keep it. If not, try a different gear. My suggestion is the 120:1.

Last edited:
There are three basic cases for gear selection:

1) Reducing the speed range to a reasonable level.
2) Maximizing the acceleration.
3) Increasing the torque available to required level.

If you want to maximize the acceleration of your robot you need to carefully calculate the gear ratio. Other cases are more trivial.
In your case: Just pick one and if it works ok, keep it. If not, try a different gear. My suggestion is the 120:1.
thanks for your suggestion

i have just bough it :)

hi all

im planning to use gearbox for my robot

and im planning to build a simple robot ( eg ; obstacle avoider )

what kind of gearbox should i use ?

heres my list that avaible in my shop :

120:1
143:1
228:1

please suggest me :)

hey just remember this rule "Speed is Inversely Proportional to torque"
The gear box is used to either increase or decrease the shaft speed.
Consider the following example. A motor has 100 RPM speed and it can pull a weight of 10 kg.
if you use an gear box of ratio 5:1 to reduce the speed, the current 20 rpm but it can pull upto 20 kg now.

If you need the speed for your robot you have to sacrifice the torque. choose the gear box according to the output you have expected. if you reduce the speed lot means your bot will move like a snail and if you increase the speed means it can hit the wall.

Send me the motor specifications and gear box specification. i think i can help you in this. (belive me i have built an 40 kg robot with a pulling capacity of 150 kg :) )

i have posted it in my blog. the uploading of picture takes too much time. if you dont mind may i provide the link? and i have a close up constructional video of my robot. i have seen the forum rules , posting the blog links are prohibited in forum, so allow me if you wish!!

i have posted it in my blog. the uploading of picture takes too much time. if you dont mind may i provide the link? and i have a close up constructional video of my robot. i have seen the forum rules , posting the blog links are prohibited in forum, so allow me if you wish!!

Go ahead mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back