Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzen

Hi,
I want to start learning microcontroller, but I don't know where to start. At the moment Teensy development kit looks interesting. Arduino is okay, but Teensy looks more interesting. I don't know others like Microchip, Cypress,... etc. I think, basically all microcontroller is same, but I don't know where I should start with. Need some advise and suggestion. Thank you.
*I'm familiar with C language, a bit java and a bit assembly. Learning other microcontroller programming language is okay.

Here are some pictures form Teensy Development.
For me I need to see something happen. Like the pictures below, turn on/off a light, or draw something on the LCD. Make a servo motor rotate.
From what you wrote you need a system that has a free C compiler. Many do but not all!
What field are you interested in? example: Micro with audio. Micro with analog. Remote control cars. Internet of Things.
It really helps if you can combine the "learn a micro" with something you also enjoy.
breadboard_leds.jpg

td_libs_GLCD_1.jpg

Try spark fun:
https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/2
They have many systems to look at.

Hi Ron, thank you for your advise. I don't have a specific field, but it's fun if I succeed to make a project by my self. Of course, with some help from the expert :D
Yesterday, I met someone at electronics component store and he advised me, if I really want to learn microcontroller, start from basic(such as ATtiny) than move to more advance chip.
I think, I'll take his advise. At the moment, I'm still designing my own development board with ATtiny45. Using RS-232 and TinySafeBoot, or using USB and VUSB. Haven't decide which one will i use.

I met someone at electronics component store and he advised me
This is a very good thing to do. I say do a project where a friend can help you. If you can't find a friend in real life there are people through forums. Many of the micros have forums. Example; search for ATtiny forum. Look for projects. At first I just copied other peoples projects. Then I made changes.

Starting with a small micro is a good idea. Whilst the ATtiny is fine, there is a lot more experience (especially here) with the microchip range.

Mike.

Learning Microcontroller is a journey and I believe its always good to start with smallest 8-bit MCU. I want you to watch this YouTube Video (click on) BEGINNERS ADVICE

Then coming back to point, you can choose either AVR or PIC. I don't vote for Arduino as its just a toy with no scope to understand MCU completely. Features of Arduino hide underlying core concept. For me when I started couple of years back with AVR ATmega32A which is still amongs the most searched tutorials on web. I can provide here some links for tutorials and video for step-by-step guide to make your journey in microocntroller world smooth and exciting

Microcontroller Learning Tutorials Series: at binaryupdates.com/avr-microcontroller-tutorials-declaration/

Microcontroller Learning Video Series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4pptAPY2kIeCFdU__MYsDeuy6Thso8at

I hope this could help you somehow to dive into the MCU World

Happy Programming and Fun

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should start with 8051 than go for other mcu , write some c code , start with some basic projects examples LED blinking , Lcd display ... etc , and If you need any help about project , post here, here are the many experts

The 8051 is a good choice However!!! If you don't choose the right one they are hard to program..

The DS89c450 is a 40 pin and has a built in bootloader.. The philips chips are getting hard to get hold of in 40 pin dip!!

Nothing is easier than the good old pic16f628a.... You can download everything for free and start with oodles of online tutorials...

There is a lot more code and support out there for C than any other language. If you know C stay with it.

The smallest chip is not always the easiest chip.

Find the tutorials you want to use and use the chip used by the tutorial. Porting code from chip to chip is not a good thing when you are getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back