Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When a USB device burns what really happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi, I mistakenly took out 2 USB video game controllers without properly ejecting the device first. Is this fixable? and what happens when these devices burn? Is is real complicated or should i just throw them away.

USB devices are hot swappable. You can plug them in and unplug them all day. Ejection is usually used for devices (USB, 1394, PCMCIA) that have mappable drives, so the OS doesn't get confused or lose data that could be in cache.

In fact I don't know of any component that you could actually physically damage the hardware by unplugging it while the computer is on. At most you would lose data.

If the game controllers don't work any more you should warranty them. If that's not possible I don't know. These electronics aren't really all that home serviceable anymore unless you really know what you're doing, and I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back