Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the differenct between TUBE and T/R packaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

control freak

and also SOIC 300mil?
and also SSOP 208mil?

also...what is the "E/P" in serial number here: PIC16F84A-04E/P?

i am pretty sure about DIP being dual inline pin...but what is PDIP???

also...so many listings for 16F84A...which on e tho choose??
One for operation from 0 to +70C or from -40C to +125C?
one with 20 leads...18?

thank you very much.

control freak said:

and also SOIC 300mil?
and also SSOP 208mil?

I may be wrong on any of this, but I'll venture some guesses anyway :)

tube package is a plastic tube that holds the IC and protects its pins, its either taped shut or plugged on the ends, and you load it into your robot for automated dispensing onto boards on a production line.

t/r is tape and reel. I've only seen reels of resistors and capacitors, but I guess anything is possible. It's basicly a strip or two of paper with adhesive, and the component is glued lightly to the paper, again, for automated dispensing by a robot

SOIC is one of the 'bigger' surface mount IC packages, fairly easy to solder by hand

SSOP (sometimes TSSOP) is one of the 'smallest' ic packages, with the pins so close together, you need a special setup to solder it.

The smallest format I've soldered by hand is QSOP and that was a challenge... it is 'in the middle' of soic and tssop

for pictures, check out

http://www.beldynsys.com/snapapart.htm

and

http://www.epboard.com

TUBE and T/R have to do with the way the chips are shipped if you order them in bulk. T/R I'm going to guess means tape on reel (tape and reel, something to that effect) and TUBE means just what it sounds like.

DIP - Dual Inline Package
SOIC - Small Outline IC
SSOP - Shrink Small Outline Package
300mil and 208mil is the width of the package

As for all the choices for the F84, they are all the same processor but you have your choice of operating temperature and voltage ranges, packages, max operating frequency. Of the top of my head I don't know what E/P stands for but it tells you what voltages that chip can use, and what temps it will withstand.

control freak said:
also...so many listings for 16F84A...which on e tho choose??

Don't choose any! - choose the 16F628A, which is the modern replacement for the obselete 16F84A - it has a higher spec, it's cheaper, and is a pin for pin replacement.

If you check the MicroChip website the 16F84A is listed as 'not suitable for new projects'.

glmclell said:
SSOP (sometimes TSSOP) is one of the 'smallest' ic packages, with the pins so close together, you need a special setup to solder it.

No, you can solder it with just a small soldering iron and solder wick. Very easy if you get the hang of it..., now desoldering... that's another thing

To add on to what Exo said:

Its actualy not that hard to desolder SSOP TSOP etc. First you slip a very fine wire, like wire wrap wire, under all the pins on one side. Paint the whole area with flux. Then start at one end of the chip heating up the pins on the end and pulling gently on the wire keeping the wire low against the PCB. As the solder melts the wire will slip under the pin pulling it away from the pad. Move the iron along as you "unzip" the pins. Repeat on the other sides.

bmcculla said:
To add on to what Exo said:

Its actualy not that hard to desolder SSOP TSOP etc. First you slip a very fine wire, like wire wrap wire, under all the pins on one side. Paint the whole area with flux. Then start at one end of the chip heating up the pins on the end and pulling gently on the wire keeping the wire low against the PCB. As the solder melts the wire will slip under the pin pulling it away from the pad. Move the iron along as you "unzip" the pins. Repeat on the other sides.

yes, getting the part itself of isn't much of a problem, but i always end up with a damaged board afterwards (home made pcb). The tiny pads come off while removing the part :?

I had great success with Zephyrtronics SMT solder paste. They supply it with a really fine needle to run an extremely tiny bead down the pads. Heat the board, preferrably with no other components other than the desired SMT parts on it, to 350 deg and hold it for a minute or so in the oven. This causes the flux to come out of the paste and coat the pads & leads. Then take a soldering iron with a blunt tip, wipe off any solder on its tip, and just quickly draw it across the leads. It'll melt the paste and the leads solder automatically. You can also use a butane soldering iron with the "heat gun" attachment. A regular heat gun blasts far, far too much area, but that attachment can focus the heat on the leads without burning the chip.

Several companies- including Zephyrtronics- offer a low melting point SMT removal alloy. It alloys with the existing solder to form an alloy which melts at such a low temp that moderately hot air, which won't cook the chip, can be used to remove it.

chaotic-mind said:
As for all the choices for the F84, they are all the same processor but you have your choice of operating temperature and voltage ranges, packages, max operating frequency. Of the top of my head I don't know what E/P stands for but it tells you what voltages that chip can use, and what temps it will withstand.

Usualy the temp and voltage stuff comes before the F or the C, for example the 16F877A is the regular one and the 16LF877A would be the extended range one(temp and voltage). The postfix is the packaging. /SO is SOIC, /L is PLCC, /P is PDIP, /SP is SPDIP, /JW is WCDIP, /PT is TQFP. There is a bunch of other stuff before the slash also, but usualy the catalog or web page has the package listed for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back