Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wg12864B lcd graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, Winstar... They supply woeful data if you could call what they do give you data. Also, be careful with them as they will change the controller IC and not tell you . You can't tell it has been changed under the black gunk they put over them. You end up really pissed off after you've just had 500 of them loaded onto boards and discover that there was a subtle timing change in the controller which means that none of the 500 boards you've just had made work.

To make matters worse, they won't be able to tell you what has changed in the controller and after you spend a week pulling your hair out you decide that they are just faulty and start the re-work process. Winstar won't supply you replacements until you return the crook ones to them and they won't help share any of your re-work costs either.

You have been warned !

Now to your questions.

DDRAM is Display Data RAM - what ends up on the display
CGRAM is Character Generator RAM - Allows you to build a few custom display characters in the LCD module. This is normally only found in Text mode LCD's. As your display is a pure graphic display, it shouldn't have any CGRAM

Using LCD's is pretty straight forward. This one looks as though it uses a Samsung KS0107 controller, so search for a datasheet for that component and you should be able to get all of the info you need. But, once again - remember that Winstar can change controllers without warning.

If you don't know where to start with controlling LCD's, that is a little beyond the scope of a quick message.

Instead, I suggest you have a look HERE and HERE .
I only gave each site a quick glimpse but they seems to be basically what you might be after.

so if i want to display A
i send the ascii code of it which is 65 in decimal ?
and '1' i send 49 d?
is this true

No, not with a graphic LCD module which that one is.

With a graphic module, you need to draw every dot, so if you want to display the letter A, you would first need a bit-map of what you wanted the A to look like. Then you would need to work out where on the display you wanted the character to appear, You would then write the bit-map of your character A into the DDRAM of the LCD module which would make the letter A appear.

In the real world, you would first write a small LCD driver program which did all of your font generation, row and column calculation, cursor addressing etc. If you just want text without graphics or headaches, then get a Character Display Module.

Jijita, it sounds like you have no knowledge/experience working with LCDs. A graphic LCD is a very bad place to start, in that case, since it's pretty complicated to work with it. You should go buy yourself a character LCD (usually rather cheap) and play around with that first. A serial character LCD will allow you to simply send characters to it like you were asking... a parallel character LCD as I suggested is slightly harder to work with than a serial, but it's still a lot simpler than a graphic LCD.

unfortunetely i'm stuck with this lcd
i have to do a little program that writes something on it
and i'm still uncertain how to do it
how do i address the ddram i'm working with 128 :64 lcd
when i create a caracter with for ex: 001h,001h,001h,001h,001h,001h,001h,001h
how do i display it on the lcd?
could you give me the steps i should follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back