Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Distribution Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGlass08

Hello! New to the forums here!

I am new to electronics design and am trying to design a thermostat. I am planning on using the 24V AC coming out of the wall to power everything in my thermostat (microcontroller, sensor, 802.11b chip) and they all require 3V input. I have searched and searched and cannot find anyone else doing this? I am sure it is possible but just have no idea where to start with my circuit design. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide me! Thank you!

Hello! New to the forums here!

I am new to electronics design and am trying to design a thermostat. I am planning on using the 24V AC coming out of the wall to power everything in my thermostat (microcontroller, sensor, 802.11b chip) and they all require 3V input. I have searched and searched and cannot find anyone else doing this? I am sure it is possible but just have no idea where to start with my circuit design. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide me! Thank you!

What you need to do is build or buy a DC power supply to convert the 24V AC to 3V DC.
At 24V input, you are going to dissipate (and waste,) a lot of power to get 3V out with a linear power supply. A switcher would do it for you with less waste, or you could use a small transformer to drop the 24VAC to 5 or 6VDC and use a linear regulator.

This looks like a good place to send you to introduce you:
Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back