Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video Monitoring with a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroinkGroink

Gentlemen,

I would appreciate your advise about Video monitoring or surveillance using a camera and data acquisition with a PIC. Camera background image will stay almost identical, except if somebody is walking in front of the camera. (This is to monitor my backyard).

I cannot acquire the complete video signal (too big), but willing to convert video part of the signal into an average voltage, then acquire this voltage with PIC ADC.

I suppose if somebody is moving in front of the camera, the average signal should move up or down, and I can detect it. I am also assuming the average video value will change over time (day versus night for example) and will be very sensitive as a function on how far is the detected body.

Did one of you folks have heard of or designed a project like this one? Did someone knows similar project on the web ?

Your advise is more than welcome, especially if idea looks stupid.
Cheers.
GroinkGroink

I've seen a circuit somewere a couple years back that uses I think variation in white balance to activate a relay to the record button on a vcr. it averaged the signal to distinguish from slow changing contitions. I will try to find it.

video surveillance

I made a video surveillance computer once using 2 pages of memory and a 60MIP DSP.

You need something simple! I think you should only monitor 10 spots on the video image. Compare those 10 spots against their average value over the last 30 seconds. If a person walks into one of those 10 spots then that spot will not equal its average.

You need to monitor V & H sync.
Wait until V sync. Count 20 H. sync delay 5uS and measure the video.
Count 10 H. sync delay 10uS and measure video.
Etc.

You do not have to measure every frame. If you can only get it done ½ the time it will work.

Thanks

Thanks Guys,

Looks like a couple of good hints. I had a look into Pasanlaksiri's URL schematics, and it is a good start for me. Different approach, but probably better capabilities and flexibility, if not better reliability...

Cheers,

GroinkGroink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back