Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that inrush will be an issue here. This regulator has a soft start built in to it.

ESR is important... the ripple current thru the cap ESR is heat. The lower the ESR the lower the temp rise of the cap.

To address your original question about the ripple current equations... the Maxim part is not a fixed frequency device. The frequency moves around depending on the load and duty cycle.

Have you look at any of the PWM's from Linear?

https://www.linear.com/pc/categoryP...Category.jsp&navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042&y=6&x=38

Last edited:
indulis said:
ESR is important... the ripple current thru the cap ESR is heat. The lower the ESR the lower the temp rise of the cap.

To address your original question about the ripple current equations... the Maxim part is not a fixed frequency device. The frequency moves around depending on the load and duty cycle.

Have you look at any of the PWM's from Linear?

https://www.linear.com/pc/categoryP...Category.jsp&navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042&y=6&x=38

I think I have.

I went with Gordz Suggestion and chose the LM2679. I am ordering parts today, so they should be here by atleast friday or next monday.

Before I order, what do I choose my start up time to be?

Last edited:
Start-up time of what? The soft start time of the buck section or the time it take to charge up the bulk filter caps of the DC supply in front of the buck converter?

I used a .33 uF cap for my soft start, there is a massive formula on page 11 of the app notes so I estimated .33 uF was good enough for me. I have not had a problem so far, also I might have a pcb pattern in .pdf somewhere if you want.

indulis said:
Start-up time of what? The soft start time of the buck section or the time it take to charge up the bulk filter caps of the DC supply in front of the buck converter?

Start up time of the IC itself. I really cant guess at a good time for start up, I figure start the IC up when the voltage of the filter caps is at my lowest input voltage, 11.46v. But since my Filter caps have no R and thus have no Tau, How long do they take to charge?

Your source of power has the R. It's roughly the sum of the resistance of the diodes and the resistance of the transformer secondary. You can also add the reflected impedance of the primary and the resistance of your mains, but they aren't usually a major factor.

(If your transformer is 10:1 and your primary is 100 ohms DC resistance, you can add approximately 10 ohms to your source R.)

Parts are Ordered. Everythings Coming in Monday :D

Total for this project: $15.53 (excluding the fact I have the transformer and the Filter Caps Already). This is what I call a cheap and effective (and efficient) PSU! Im expecting an efficiency of at least 80% to 90%

100w Varriable SMPS

Hi Everybody,
I want to designe a 100w varriable smps. I out<3A, 2 v<Vout<33 V, I had tried VIPER100 which was not suitable for a varriable SMPS, Do you know a siutable Half-bridge IC for this application?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back