Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using the NOPPP PIC Programmer In Windows On Newer PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and also very new to the world of microcontrollers.

I recently purchased the PICPRO-1 kit by Ramsey Electronics from a local electronics surplus store recently (not realizing that this thing is LONG out of date). I built the kit, rechecked my work, and got as far as trying to load the program into the PIC but kept getting a -

"Expecting 3000 Found 3FFF"

type error message when initiating a write to the PIC.

So I searched online and could find nothing on what causes this error.

Now my computer has an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard which I got in 2004 and I run a 1.83GHz Athlon XP processor. The kit had only been tested on PCs with up to a 500MHz processor as far as I knew.

Well I'm here to tell you that I personally have tested the NOPPP programmer on 16F84s on this PC and have finally gotten it to work!

What you have to do is go into your computer's BIOS and change the parallel port mode to "SPP" (Standard Parallel Port). ECP+EPP will not work.

Also, I have found a Windows based program that works just fine in WinXP Pro with the NOPPP programmer as well. Not sure who it's made by but it is called WinPic and for me with the parallel port set to "SPP" mode in the BIOS this program worked flawlessly with the NOPPP programmer. Here is a link to it -

https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/winpicpr.html

Just thought I'd post up my experience with the NOPPP programmer for those of you who either still have them or were planning to build them to let y'all know that it has now been personally tested on a machine with a processor faster than 500MHz and it fully worked with no issues. The only thing to remember is that it will not work with the parallel port set to "Enhanced Parallel Port" mode. It must be set to "Standard Parallel Port" mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back