Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PC parallel port as power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my circuit requires a 5v power supply, can i use the parallel port to power up my circuit since the output from parallel port is 5v? Is it advisable or are there any drawbacks to using this besides having to need the pc (i can switch between using pc and battery)?

You also have voltage limitations as well, the port ouputs are likely to be less than 5V - by ANDing the outputs together (with diodes) you can generate a few milliamps, I have an external A2D that works like that (built in a D plug).

You should be VERY aware though, that modern parallel ports are part of the motherboard, killing your port would require the motherboard replacing! - and it's quite easy to kill these integrated ports!.

or use the usb port?

again a power limitatio but a bit more juice
Or get a veroboard in PCI formfacter from RS/FARNELL and jack into the PCI power bus - lots-o-power availble.

Or just use a molex splitter and use one of the 12V or 5V power leads that are always in your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back