Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a 5.1V Zener as a regulator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iso9001

Bad idea ?

I have an automotive application that requires a pic and circuit that will run at 5V and draw MAYBE 50ma alltogather.

I was thinking I could use the 12v in, tie it to a resistor (4.7kish) then reverse the zener to ground, to that between the diode and the resistor I have a 5V source.

This is buffered 12v so I am not worried terrible about spikes, but they may still occur duing startup.

This zener says its good to 1W. I figure my deal will be using ~.3W.

This is mainly to get away from using a 5V regulator. Which I have niether the money or space for (mainly space, so please dont tell me how cheap they are). Another reason for not going with a regulator is that this unit will always have power running to it, day and night, the pic will sleep most of the time but I have a feeling the regulator will draw more power then I'de like. (If possible I'de like to be at or under 1ma when sleeping)

Should work okey, but the resistor needs to be about 100 ohms @ 1 W.
12V-5.1V= 6.9V drop across the resistor. Add about 10 Ma for zener current. 6.9/.06=115 ohms. Go with about 100 ohms. P=IxIxR
I=6.9/100 or 69Ma. P= .069 x .069 x 100 =0.47W. Double the power rating for safety.
Make sure the cathode of the Zener is + and the anode is ground or -, the resistor between +12V and the cathode of the zener. The 5.1 volts will be across the zener.

The zener is not going to sleep, so it is drawing current all the time. Check out Texas Instruments part TPS76350DBVT, it is a 5 volt regulator in a SOT-23-5 package that is much smaller than a 1 watt zener and it draws only 0.14 mA while supplying up to 150 mA. It is available from Mouser for 78 cents.

I like zeners, never let me down. If the PIC isnt on, wont the zener only draw in a little, oh, wait thats what that resistor is gonna do. Yea I see what you mean.

The problem w/ the regulators I've been using (stupid radioshack parts)

Is that the size is 1 issue, but also, I can ever trust them. I've had a ton fail and I'm always double checking them. PLUS, thier is the whole capcitor issue.

Does the TPS76350DBVT need caps on the + and ground lines ?

Thanks,
rhet

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back