Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB to Parallel HELP! PLZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Hello there! Well i have been working on a project on my pc concerning the Parallel Port. The software works fine :D

The problem is that i just bought a laptop so i can work on my Uni on the same PC.

SUPRISE! SUPRISE! There is no parallel port on the laptop :oops:

Taking the laptop back is not a solution. I looked in the internet and found that there are some USB TO PARALLEL port converters.

I am doing some simple tasks with my PP.
Does anybody know how this USB thing works? I means if i want to access the 0x378 address on the parallel, is it the same procedure with the USB?

Thank you.

The USB to parralel ports arn't memory mapped like a normal parallel port. They only work with higher level drivers. I don't think you can use them to bitbang because of this.

Thank for the reply...

This is very bad news. There goes the laptop purchase.

So is it completely impossible to access it normally?

Thank you again.

**broken link removed**
USB to Parallel Converter for PC

Failing that buy a second han laptop that has a parallel port.

thnx for the reply.

@bmcculla. Hello i was wondering if input32.dll (**broken link removed**) is considered a high level protocol. Will it work with this? plz tell me your opinion.

Thank you.

InpOut32.dll is a workaround that allows you to access the standard parallel port hardware address thru some versions of Windows operating systems. As such, it probably would be useless on these USB-Parallel devices. Your only hope would be if you could get the manufacturers specs and access to their drivers code. If you can get this info, it may be possible to re-write your aps to use it like a standard parallel port, but getting there thru their device driver software.
Dialtone

Instead of spending time trying to make the parallel port work you might just want to buy something like the USB-6008 from national instruments www.ni.com. Or the USB Labjack. Measurement Computing should also have something similar.

They do digital IO and analog IO and come with divers for the latest OS.

Well.. Unfortunately it took me some time to do my software, and i dont have time to start from the begining

I guess i should be more careful when i buy a new car and be sure that it has wheels on it, because who knows, maybe they are not useful anymore. :evil: (arrrghh...computer without Parallel...ok is old.. but it costs nothing to put it there)

... As a last attemp i found this on the net
http://www.laptopsetc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=348

note the ONE PARALLEL PORT

Thank you all for the replies.

Hiya Dem,
Eh mate if you take a look at www.dontronics.com they have a couple of USB to parrallel products. I had the same problem with my laptop but with the serial port so I bought the USB to serial adaptor and it works fine letting me talk to a pic thru hyper terminal.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan :D

Thnx bryan man...
I saw the site you said. It looks good for RS 232 but i dont think about parallel. I have emailed them. I am hoping for the best. :roll:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Hiya Dem,
Eh mate one thing I've found about dontronics they backup what they sell so they only stock the good stuff. On the DLP-USB245M USB Adapter Parallel there is a datasheet to download and the fidi chip used is the benchmark standard on usb converters. Over here in Oz there are a few copys but everyone I know has gone and bought the best from Don.

Cheers Bryan :D

NOTE: The only afflician I have with dontronics is I'm one of their customers

@bryan : Thanks man. That is the device i saw earlier and the one i have emailed them about. Indeed they look like quality products but i think there do not have what i am looking for. i am waiting for their email.

@DIALTONE : Hello. Ok i dont know much about drivers, but they sell usb to parallel for printers. When a program needs to print it will use some kind of protocol somewhere that it will check the status register, access data register, etc. That protocol it will access the memory map? If these programs are able to use the parallel port (for printing) without any changes, then i can't I?

Excuse my english but because is late the brain->muscle->finger->keyboard translation has major leeks :D

Thank you for reading.

P.S. I hope the laptop will have minesweeper installed, because i dont see any PP action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back