Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Host-2-Host

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonigau

I want to make a USB Host to Host cable.
I Know I can buy one but in the spirit od DIY & ever learning I want to make my own.

What I know:
The USB spec does not permit master to master connection so some form of interface is required. This is what I am trying to research - what ICs are available for this, maybe 2 USB slave devices back to back?
or maybe atmels USBmicro

-------------
I might be able to use the USB drivers that have been written for existing H-2-H cables ?

Tonig

Host to host cable? You mean a USB interlink cable? Save yourself the trouble and shoot yourself in the head now. The USB protocol is incredibly complex and not for the faint of heart. You could purchase say a usb to serial and a serial to USB interface and cross those over but that's an exercise in futility. You'll spend 10 times more building your own than you would on purchasing one at a store.

I dont realy want to build one, dont know why I said that but I want to understand how a USB H2H interface is configured.
If i keep searching I should find something, was hoping someone might be able to help.
From researching so far there are a hardware devices that don't require the user to get heavily involved in USB programming to be able to implement USB Host or slave in their products.

tonigau said:
From researching so far there are a hardware devices that don't require the user to get heavily involved in USB programming to be able to implement USB Host or slave in their products.

Yes, you simply buy a USB solution, the software drivers are provided as well, and it works as either a serial or a parallel port (but not always a PC type serial or parallel port).

The problem with a H2H interface is that there is no standard (excluding USB 2go which I know nothing about) What you're talking about is a slave device with 2 USB interfaces (probably something like Vinculum's vdip1 IC)

https://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=vdip1
It has 2 USB ports that are configurable and a built in micro controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back