Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

filibertov

I'd like to set up an inexpensive room monitor using a webcam. I'm thinking of a USB extender for the webcam but cannot find a schematic on the extender cable. Any ideas? Any help would be great>

You dont need a schematic evrything is conected directly.Same wires to same wires.Also note that USB is not meant to run on long cabels you may start getting problems whith long cabels.

have a look for something call the NSLU2 from linksys.
It is ment to be a fileserver (costing £50 + external HD or flashdrive) but since it is linux-based ppl have been hooking wierd things to it (I am using mine as a torrent server, a music server [ plays onto my stereo with BLuetooth control] and a fileserver + FTP/SSH server)

ppl have hooked webcams upto them, this then allows webcams to be views over a network

Someone Electro said:
You dont need a schematic evrything is conected directly.
I'm pretty sure he's asking for a repeater, rather than just a longer cable.

also sometimes called an active extender or powered extension cable... they allow up to 30m

Just guessing here, but I think the usb signaling pair is bidirectional of sorts, so something easy like a buffer IC wont work since it's only passing one direction.

maybe something like a 74HC4061 analog switch would work (don't use the switch part, just tie the switch select low so it's locked into one set of outputs) ... setup your D+ and D- on one side of the switch, and the extension of your D+ and D- on the other side ... the bidirectional nature of the analog switch will allow a signal to travel either way, but at the same time, it is buffering(?) the signal as well... maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back