Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB 'announce'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

My latest dooberry-wotsit is USB-powered... using a nice type A receptacle. Although it will usually be powered by a USB wall-wart, I have been powering it via my Thinkpad while developing.

Obviously, as it's only getting power from the USB, it does not do a ding-dong USB 'announce' when I plug it in to a computer.

That got me to wondering... what is the most basic thing you would need to do so that your thingy with a USB socket on it would USB 'announce' itself?

It doesn't have to explain what it is or say "hey, I need a driver" or anything like that to the OS... I'm just wondering what you need to have so that the ding-dong happens and there's that audible cue that, yes, something just got connected... I might not know what that something is, what it does or what it expects from me, but I know it's there and so I'm telling you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back