Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaravind

I have to design and implement a 4-digit BCD number display system using multiplexed common-anode type seven-segment LEDs.
Using the above,I have to design and implement a 4-digit decimal frequency counter for measuring the frequency of a periodic waveform.

The following info is provided
The given 4-digit BCD number is stored initially in four quad-data latches (IC 7475), each digit in each latch. These digits are to be displayed in four common-anode type seven-segment LEDs (FND 542) via only one BCD-to-seven segment decoder (IC 7447). This requires multiplexing the BCD digits cyclically and enabling only the LED corresponding to the selected digit. Use two dual 4-to-1 multiplexers (IC 74153), each multiplexer for each bit of a BCD digit, for the purpose. For LED selection, use one 2-to-4 decoder (IC 74155) with a pnp transistor as switch between Vcc and the anode of each LED. Implement a mod-4 counter using negative edge-triggered JK flip-flops (IC 74112) to control the 4-to-1 multiplexers and the 2-to-4 decoder.

A frequency counter may be realized by counting the number of cycles in 1 sec. Use an op-amp (IC 741) to convert the given input signal into a TTL-compatible square wave and count the number of cycles in four decade counters (IC 7490). The counting is to be enabled for 1 sec. For this, use a 2-input AND gate (IC 7408) that allows the square wave at one of its input when the other input is HIGH. Generate HIGH pulse of 1 sec duration by driving a JK flip-flop by 1 Hz clock. Obtain 1 Hz clock from a given 100 Hz oscillator by frequency division using decade counters. The contents of the counters are displayed in the above 4-digit BCD number display system at the end of counting. Subsequently, the counters are reset to all zeroes. Generate the negative RESET pulse by using a monostable multivibrator (IC 74121). Measure the frequencies of various periodic waveforms by this frequency counter.

That was a statement (actually, several statements). There was no question. What do you need from the forum?

Ron H said:
That was a statement (actually, several statements). There was no question. What do you need from the forum?

I unable to understand where should I use the BCD decoder(only one should be used) . Can you please give me an idea for the first design?

If the display needs to be multiplexed then you indeed require only 1 BCD decoder. The segments of each display are connected together (seg A of display 1 is connected to seg A of display 2, ...). And the resulting 7 lines are all driven by 1 BCD decoder.

To display a certain number (let's say 723), you put the data for the first display to the BCD decoder (a 7). But you only drive the common anode of the first display. So only the first display will show a '7'. Then you do the same for the other displays. Cycle this fast enough and it will seem as all displays are on simultaniously...

Exo said:
If the display needs to be multiplexed then you indeed require only 1 BCD decoder. The segments of each display are connected together (seg A of display 1 is connected to seg A of display 2, ...). And the resulting 7 lines are all driven by 1 BCD decoder.

To display a certain number (let's say 723), you put the data for the first display to the BCD decoder (a 7). But you only drive the common anode of the first display. So only the first display will show a '7'. Then you do the same for the other displays. Cycle this fast enough and it will seem as all displays are on simultaniously...

If all the segments of the LEDs are connected , then will all the LEDs not glow at a time ?

The displays are wired togheter so they will all show the same, but you only activate 1 display at a time. So, if you want to display the number 123 you put a '1' on the segment lines and only activate display 1, then you put a '2' on the segment lines but only activate display 2, and so on...

do this over and over again, more then 50 times a second, and it will look like all the displays are on at once.

try googling for 'display multiplexing'

each display needs 2 connections to make it light up, one to the segment you want lit, the other to the common anode pin. The displays will all get the same signal to the segment connections, but only the one you want lit will get the second "common anode" conection. This is what the BCD chip does. It completes the circuit so only one display lights up.

If you switch between displays fast enough, your eye cannot tell that the one display has gone out when the next one lights up, then the first one is turned on again.

Hi jaravind,

If all the segments of the LEDs are connected,
then will all the LEDs not glow at a time ?

Well, they would, but the anodes are only fed
one group at a time.

Another reason for pulsing them like this, is
that LEDs can give a higher net light output
when driven in short bursts than continually.

I think this sort of 'rows and columns' is
called matrixing.

I hope the picture makes it clear.

Regards, John :)

Attachments

• matrixed_leds.jpg
    matrixed_leds.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 717
  • matrixed_leds.jpg
    matrixed_leds.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 713
excuse me .... i must have pressed something twice !!

John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back