Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

unusual way to charge a car battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow what a row I never knew I could start a storm like this so whats the verdict boys ? I'm starting to reconsider a transformer (as I have one) but the main thing is I'm not to sure about having mains voltages floating around the house.

Death By Bass said:
if the current is limited to 500mA, whats stopping that from being 500mA at 200+volts DC?

The battery itself.

I've killed a battery by accidently charging it to 18volts, with a 2.5amp current limited powersupply.

whats stopping 500mA from doing the exact same thing?

The fact it's a trivial amount of current for a car battery!.

Thunderchild said:
wow what a row I never knew I could start a storm like this so whats the verdict boys ? I'm starting to reconsider a transformer (as I have one) but the main thing is I'm not to sure about having mains voltages floating around the house.

As everyone has said all along, if you're building a charger do it properly with a transformer - if you're "throwing together" something in an emergency, then you could always use the crude bulb method, but you certainly shouldn't be thinking of building one for permanent use!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The battery itself.

The fact it's a trivial amount of current for a car battery!.

mine didn't...

like I said, I killed a battery with 2.5amps, at 18 volts, so, how is that going to differ with 0.5amps, at 200+ volts?

Death By Bass said:
mine didn't...

like I said, I killed a battery with 2.5amps, at 18 volts, so, how is that going to differ with 0.5amps, at 200+ volts?

You've never mentioned what type of battery it was?, and you used five times the current we're talking about - the voltage is completely irrelevent.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You've never mentioned what type of battery it was?, and you used five times the current we're talking about - the voltage is completely irrelevent.

yeah, and you're talking about using 10+ times the voltage.

Death By Bass said:
yeah, and you're talking about using 10+ times the voltage.

But NOT on the battery, the 200V is the other side of the lamp, and as I said before, the source voltage is irrelevent anyway.

You still haven't answered my question about the battery you supposedly destroyed either!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
OK, (although it had a question mark!), what type of battery was it?.

BTW, does your name refer to bass guitar?, low notes in general?, or a type of fish?.

sticking a question mark at the end of a statement doesn't make it a question.

I dont know what type battery it was, I cant remember.

it refers to bass in general.

Come on guys! is this battery not charged yet?

I think we have established that:

1 It is a poor way to charge a battery.
2 It is bad from a personal safety viewpoint.
3 Depending on the current, you will overcharge any battery if you leave it long enough.
4 If the devil is biting at your arse and you have to charge the battery, this method will get you going.

JimB

Ohhh... I do so LUV exclamation marks at the end of my questions. They're so emphatic!~$" (... and manly, too)}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back