Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Track wheel surveillance robot with face recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wplefoux

Is there anyone can help me on this final year project because it is my final year in advance diploma, so hope I can get flying result.

What kind of track wheel material I should choose?
What kind of camera I need to use so that it can recognise faces?
How to implement the software and camera?
Any recommended web sites?

THANKS A LOT!!;)

Google
Why not trying bringing us some ideas after you've spent a few hours trying to look them up yourself first.

I'll field this one:

1. Good material
2. A digital one
3. Very well
4. Yes

Electro-tech help those who help themselves. *Gunshot*

depends on allot of things including your skill and budget. i don't know about face recognition but i don't think you can do that with any ordinary micro and might have to strap a laptop on the back with some pretty specialized software. i think the simplest way to get tracks would be to go to the local second hand store and pick up a remote control toy with tracks or tank drive style wheels. i imagine face recognition isn't something you can make in a month or two and even if you do manage to all by yourself i would think it would likely do more harm then good to your mark if it's not at perfectly stable. what kind of course are you taking?

The only camera + processing + software that is accessible to a hobbiest to recognize faces (that is, to recognize a face from a soccer ball, not between two different faces) is the CMU Cam 3 and maybe the POB Camera. The crucial criteria is that it is cheap, and the complex camera interfacing, memory buffers, and processing are all done onboard for you. THe second criteria that separates these two cameras from the others (mostly older versions of CMU Cams, there aren't many out there for hobbiests) is that you can have customized firmware for your own algorithms.

I believe if you google there is someone who has code to make those cameras recognize faces. I think it was for the CMU Cam 3.

Any other method either costs a lot more money (like buying a camera + processing package from a company and thus will cost you an upwards of $5000), or a lot of money and time (the development tools for processors able to deal with image processing are an upwards of $3000, not to mention the cost for parts).

POB Cam:
http://www.pob-technology.com/

CMU Cam in general:
The CMUcam Vision Sensors

CMU Cam 3 (and the face recog stuff):
**broken link removed**

THe rich hobbiest route:
SR3000 Swiss Ranger Camera
**broken link removed**

THe professional, but lazy, route:
Point Grey Research Inc. - Home

Although, if you can afford either of the last two solutions, I would instead spend half as much money and forego on the face recognition in exchange for VISUAL NAVIGATION and buy something from these guys:
Welcome to Centeye

Last edited:
depends on allot of things including your skill and budget. i don't know about face recognition but i don't think you can do that with any ordinary micro and might have to strap a laptop on the back with some pretty specialized software. i think the simplest way to get tracks would be to go to the local second hand store and pick up a remote control toy with tracks or tank drive style wheels. i imagine face recognition isn't something you can make in a month or two and even if you do manage to all by yourself i would think it would likely do more harm then good to your mark if it's not at perfectly stable. what kind of course are you taking?

sorry for late reply. I'm taking electronic engineering.
I think i'll send the video signal into my laptop, then the face recognition system is done in the laptop. Besides, i'll control the robot from pc which connect via bluetooth.

The info i have now is KC-21 bluetooth module, here is the web site https://www.electro-tech-online.com...rveillance-robot-with-face-recognition.40032/

My problem is, can i connect the module using USB bluetooth dongle?
How the module interact with PIC16F877A?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry for late reply. I'm taking electronic engineering.
My idea is remotely control the robot from my laptop, i'm not sure which to use between bluetooth or PT2262. Do you have any recommendation?which will be easier n save cost.
Besides that, i wan to send the video signal to my laptop too..

Might be easier to use a Zigbee module (a transparent wireless UART) to communicate between PC and PIC. Native USB is *very* difficult to work with.

Last edited:
There are many products the company offers and it can get confusing. From your application it sounds like you do not need mesh networks (unless you have multiple robots, each progressively closer to your PC using each other as repeating stations for the farthest out robots.

**broken link removed**

1. XBee® 802.15.4 OEM RF Modules
2. XBee-PRO® 802.15.4 OEM RF Modules
3. XBee® 802.15.4 Adapters
4. XBee-PRO® 802.15.4 RF Modems

1 or 2 can go on your robot and work directly with your microcontroller. 3 or 4 allow you to connect it to your PC (1 and 2 can be made to do that as well, but it requires extra hardware which is taken cared of with 3 or 4). You would be sending commands via hyperterminal or some other terminal software. A GUI interface could be developed to mask these commands so you could use a mouse and clock rather than typing to do the job (with some dynamic scripting language like TCL or something).

It would work like plugging a really long RS-232 cable to your robot...except it's wireless so no cable.

Last edited:
Given a few indicators from your post, it might be worth considering the following:
1) Make a robot platform from Lego Mindstorms NXT. This can communicate via Bluetooth.
2) Buy a wireless cam and hook it up to your computer.

Run to separate apps on your computer: one for controlling the robot using your arrow keys, and one for processing the images from the camera you've superglued to your Lego creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back