Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ti-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my beloved TI-86 graphing calculator a few weeks ago (ordering an eBay replacement soon). I never got into assembly programming with it (Marks256:TAKE NOTE) but it has a Z80 in it. The menu system is also a ton better than the 83 Plus. Anyone have any calculator experiences? I wrote several games in BASIC for mine (in class of course :D ) that had save/load states. Even did a 3D transform program -- that was still in the memory when it disappeared. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-86

I was always an HP fan (their older models before the cheap keyboards)
I even recall I have a TI-91 and a TI-59 around here somewhere.

I thought about doing programming for my 89, but I really didn't want to have my first experience with assembly be working with an operating system and following standards. I'm learning through the AVR for now.

Snagged one on eBay for $38 total.

Now I just need some EL panel to backlight it...I've seen it done; they did a messy job and had the power pins sticking out of the side.

Found it:
**broken link removed**

theinfamousbob said:
(Marks256:TAKE NOTE) but it has a Z80 in it.

Yeah, i know the ti-86 has a z80 in it. :D But it is a much newer model. The z80a is the best... :D

I have a TI-92 (Motorola proc), but it isn't allowed on the ACT, so i am going to have to buy an 86 before april...

blueroomelectronics said:
My ancient calculators work just fine. I collect them too when I can find them. I'm looking for an HP 41C...
Do you use an **broken link removed**? The one by Warren Furlow is fantastic (if you have Windows). I often use it, even though I have a real HP15C on my desk.
PS I see it doesn't work with Vista.

My oldest "scientific" calculator is a TI-55, circa '79 or so if I recall correctly.

Ron- does the HP15C use Reverse Polish? I remember an HP I had ( briefly ) that did, drove people crazy when they borrowed it. LOL

zevon8 said:
My oldest "scientific" calculator is a TI-55, circa '79 or so if I recall correctly.

Ron- does the HP15C use Reverse Polish? I remember an HP I had ( briefly ) that did, drove people crazy when they borrowed it. LOL
It does. Other than my first calculator, which was a TI SR-10, I have had only RPN calculators, and only two of them. I had an HP25 (it's probably still around here somewhere), and I now use an HP15C, which I have had for ~20-25 years. Algebraic calculators are very awkward for me, but I think it's mainly a matter of what you are used to.

People are getting more mileage out of these TI systems every year. Ports of classic Zelda, F-Zero, Pokemon, and Mario Bros 3 were announced recently, and the RealSound project demonstrated the TI-84+ can play CD-quality audio. There's even a PAL video output program. Some people even use them for math still.

**broken link removed**...**broken link removed**

TI-84+ SE is really popular. Probably it's the closest fit from your TI-86.

TI-89 Titanium gets good reviews. Basically, it's a TI-92 you can use in SAT/ACT. Everything your SAT proctors hate.

N-Spire is their new high-end model. It's powerful but has programming restrictions that make it irredeemably developer-unfriendly.

Last edited:
My ancient calculators work just fine. I collect them too when I can find them. I'm looking for an HP 41C...
I have a working HP25C from 1976 and the original NiCad batteries still work!!!

People are getting more mileage out of these TI systems every year. Ports of classic Zelda, F-Zero, Pokemon, and Mario Bros 3 were announced recently, and the RealSound project demonstrated the TI-84+ can play CD-quality audio. There's even a PAL video output program. Some people even use them for math still.

**broken link removed**...**broken link removed**

TI-84+ SE is really popular. Probably it's the closest fit from your TI-86.

TI-89 Titanium gets good reviews. Basically, it's a TI-92 you can use in SAT/ACT. Everything your SAT proctors hate.

N-Spire is their new high-end model. It's powerful but has programming restrictions that make it irredeemably developer-unfriendly.

The only thing I don't like about the 83/84 series is the screen width. I'm so used to my 128 pixel screen...I always felt a bit ripped off when I switched back. :D

As for the 89, I might upgrade eventually. If I end up making enough money this summer...

P.S. I did find my calculator; it was in my closet at home for whatever reason. Oh well. Now my little brother has something to use for math. :D

I bought the TI-89 Titanium for $100 used (in new condition though) and love it. It is essential for Calculus.
Really? And here I planned to simply use mine at the grocery store!

As for the 89, I might upgrade eventually. If I end up making enough money this summer...
Yeah, get one if you can. I never got a Titanium, but one would've made short work on the tedious math problems they like to throw at you. And the powerful PrettyPrint feature is exclusive to TI-89 and higher.

my dad had a had a calculator when he was in collage and he sayed it was the first calculator he had even used to do more than 4 digits. but i cant use it any more sence i am in eighth grade we do trig and his calculator takes a long time for it to process. about 30 seconds for a basic trig problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back