Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the Norton equivalent circuit of a current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi

Dear friends,

The schematic (p1) attached below is the implement of a current source from my textbook. The current i2 will be ten times as large as i1* if the nMOS M2 is operated in saturation.

* nMOS M1 parameters in PSPICE: lambda=0, W=100u, L=1u, Kp=0.01, Vto=1
M2: lambda=0, W=1000u, L=1u, Kp=0.01, Vto=1

I was trying to convert that current source into it's Norton equivalent circuit, so I connected its output terminal node Nd to ground (p2 below), finding the short-citcuited current to be 1.298A.
Next I removed the two DC voltage sources, making the circuit dead, and then inserted another voltage source (1 volt) between Nd and ground (p3), trying to find its Norton equivalent resistance by dividing this voltage by the resulting current.
It turned out that the equivalent resistance was pretty large (1V / 1pA = 1E12 ohms), but there was no current flowing through nMOS M1, even I replaced the 1V voltage source by a 100V voltage source. This makes me feel strange.

Could you please tell me if I correctly got the Norton equivalent circuit as the one in p4?

Thank you!

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 317
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 308
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 306
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 323
Wow, I just noticed that we didn't help you with this question. Maybe it's too late, but here is some feedback.

First, to answer your question ("Could you please tell me if I correctly got the Norton equivalent circuit as the one in p4?"), you didn't get the right answer.

Second, I've attached some notes that relate to this problem. This is a classic current mirror circuit.

Attachments

• PTDC0075.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 287
  • PTDC0076.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back