Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Dumbest Engineer I ever met!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew a degreed electrical engineer from a good school who did not know what 'solid state' meant. He also referred to every IC on a circuit board other than a microcontroller as a 'FET'. Op-amps? 'FET'. RS232 transceiver? 'FET'. Temperature sensor? 'FET'.

He was just trying to keep things simple or testing YOU. That's all. :D I know none of his stuff worked as if he asked for a "FET", I am sure someone gave him an FET.

He was just trying to keep things simple or testing YOU. That's all. :D I know none of his stuff worked as if he asked for a "FET", I am sure someone gave him an FET.

He could read part numbers off a BOM and solder up boards. That's all he really did.

I knew a degreed electrical engineer from a good school who did not know what 'solid state' meant. He also referred to every IC on a circuit board other than a microcontroller as a 'FET'. Op-amps? 'FET'. RS232 transceiver? 'FET'. Temperature sensor? 'FET'.

Hahaha, this is frickin hilarious!

I had a collage proffesor, a real knowitall, who always managed to insult other students, with some imbecile stuff.
Once, a new shipment of wattmeter came, and he said, gather around so I can show you how to connect them. He supplied the power and smoke came out, his reaction was:"Did you see, this is how you shouldn't connect them." and not in sarcasm, but in serious tone, like he meant to do it.

Still today I can't grasp how such morons can teach.

Every time we practiced in laboratory at beginning of the class, he asked us:"Did we prepare our selfs", that ain't the problem, the problem is that he never came prepared, we got our lab assignments the same day, he didn't prepare Micromaster, nor DrivMonitor, once even he came to me and asked what purpose did a variable resistors(high power) in high power DC field windings have,just to find something to insult, I said for fine regulation, he said:"Ohh" and sent other students to get them also, wtf?!

Last edited:
Not an engineer but a car technichan that after 15 liters :eek: of motor oil finds out that he didn't put back the drain plug in the carter.

still try to charge me for the oil he spilled

or a petrol tank boy on the pump (I drove the company pick up but a petrol version) that put diesel oil in the tank.

after asking why he did put diesel into it even when the tank lid says unleaded petrol only

his answer whas: becuase every pick up is a diesel and again ask me to pay the money for the diesel :eek:

I could not believe that he dared to ask.

Robert-Jan

technician

we once hired a new technician who never stopped talking about his qualifications, his training abroad (U.K, im south african), his electronics repair business et al.
he was given a board with a faulty supply (7805), he managed to repair the board and had an accident with a side-cutter, he managed to break a ceramic cap in half, poor guy panicked, looked around his tool case for a solution, and decided that super glue would the patch up the cap just fine:eek::confused:. when asked why would he do such a thing he told the manager that super-glue won't affect the working of the cap:eek:

we once hired a new technician who never stopped talking about his qualifications, his training abroad (U.K, im south african), his electronics repair business et al.
he was given a board with a faulty supply (7805), he managed to repair the board and had an accident with a side-cutter, he managed to break a ceramic cap in half, poor guy panicked, looked around his tool case for a solution, and decided that super glue would the patch up the cap just fine:eek::confused:. when asked why would he do such a thing he told the manager that super-glue won't affect the working of the cap:eek:

Maybe he thought the glue would increase the dielectric of the cap and add a few more mics to the cap...:D

When I worked at my last company, I felt like the dumbest engineer I ever met. My office neighbors had pHd's, half engineering did as well. A master degree was the norm, and I felt really humbled.
My only saving grace was that I knew how to get things done with purchasing, production, the expediters, CAD group, and doc control group. In other words I could get something done on short notice, but I had to utilize the brains around me for my designs, I mean I asked for help sometimes, and knew who to ask. I guess I worked the system :)

He probably knew that the capacitor was just a 100nF filter on the output of the regulator and isn't essential for the regulator to work.

He also probably knew that the capacitor still might work but the capacitance will be less with a chunk missing.

He's still silly because the foil plates could have shorted together when it was chipped, unless he'd tested that this wasn't the case.

trust me hero, the man doesnt know the difference between a nF cap and pF.
i doubt he even knows what a 7805 is..

trust me hero, the man doesnt know the difference between a nF cap and pF.
i doubt he even knows what a 7805 is..

You need to ask why he left the UK - in my experience the people who do so are often totally incompetent, they leave because they can't get a job here, but can ******** where they aren't known.

We get the same here, with useless people moving to the UK :D

I had the power company tell me I had a short in the panel I installed after 3 hours with there Engineer showing him there wasn't a short thay replaced breaker at the pole and the transformer blow up
Its always you:D

Lefty's rule is bosses and engineers should not be allowed to handle tools under penalty of death. ;)

hm so the options are (after careful consideration): dead or dead

You need to ask why he left the UK - in my experience the people who do so are often totally incompetent, they leave because they can't get a job here, but can ******** where they aren't known.

You guys can get by over here on account of the accent alone, it's sickening! :)

I talked to a Engineer that worked for Sony he said he had been there for 15 years and was trained by them to write programs he was trying to use a printer when it came up to install driver he would 1 finger hit cancel. I was waiting for him to print a check after about a hour he still didn't get the printer to work. I have been looking for a some where local to get parts when I need some thing fast so I ask if he could get get me some 74hc595 He didn't no what it was.You no who fixed the printer:D

Last edited:
You guys can get by over here on account of the accent alone, it's sickening! :)

You have no idea how hard it is for us to move over to the US of A :(

My brother ended up living as an illegal for a number of years over there until he married his long term girlfriend (she's a native Californian). He's only just got his citizenship after a lot of legal issues.

We'd love to move to CA in the USA - we fell in love with the place when we visited last year but the chances of that happening are very remote.

This is true - British accent, and right away people think you are ten times smarter.

And if you are American and have a southern accent, people assume you are an idiot.

My Mother was English, She met my Father when he was over there during WWII.

I would love to retire in the UK.....but it's too expensive. I own a house there (used to be my Grandmothers), but I have to rent it to pay the freaking bills.

I like visiting England....fun, down to earth people.

I will probably sell the house, and buy a whore house and a bar in China Beach in Vietnam:D

This is true - British accent, and right away people think you are ten times smarter.

That's because we are ;)

The Americans can't even spell half the words right! :D

And if you are American and have a southern accent, people assume you are an idiot.

You mean it's not true? :eek:

Deliverance has a lot to answer for!.

We don't put that sneaky, extra letter "u" in every other word, if THAT'S what you mean. Like "honour". Ugh. It's not pronounced like "flour" or "hour" - by putting that sneaky "u" in there, you make it look dishonorable.

And if it's a minute to midnight, do you say it's 59:11? Of course not. Larger units first. So why do you insist on writing dates backwards?

We don't put that sneaky, extra letter "u" in every other word, if THAT'S what you mean. Like "honour". Ugh. It's not pronounced like "flour" or "hour" - by putting that sneaky "u" in there, you make it look dishonorable.

And if it's a minute to midnight, do you say it's 59:11? Of course not. Larger units first. So why do you insist on writing dates backwards?

:D:D:D..

When I first visited the UK many years ago....there was a bit of a language barrier:D

But when I went to Wales I couldn't understand a damn word they were saying.:D:D

It is easier to talk to the Vietnames than the Welsh!:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back