Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Static Shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few days i keep getting static shocked by the components around the pc.

When i connect a digicam to the pc and i touch the digicam, i get shocked. When i touch the back portion of my pc (the surface with all the ports), i get shocked. When i just touch the printer cable connected to the extension cord i get shocked. When i tried to on a switch connected to the extension cord i get shocked.

This only started happening since a few days ago.

May i know what might be the problem? Or did i just notice my secret hidden superhero powers?

It depends on what is earthed (grounded) and what isn't. PC's usually have an earthed case, but many items don't - so when you plug the item into the PC it grounds via the PC. When it's not connected to ground via the PC, the mains isolation components cause a slight leakage current to make the casing slightly live - this isn't dangerous, but can be disconcerting!.

Another possibility is that it's YOU! that's charged up, with static electricity, and it's discharging from your body to ground via the PC. This could explain why you've only noticed it recently, because you're wearing different clothes?.

I would have to agree with Nigel. With the exception of a CRT screen and a laser printer, there isn't much in the way of electrostatics in computer equipment. I'd suggest advent of synthetic clothing, a new carpet, a run of really low humidity, new shoes .... has the wife been compaining about getting a lot of static from you? Mine always does.

Dean

Being from the same area as Dean, I'm gonna agree with the fact that it might just be really dry where you live, which often leads to a build up in static.

Malaysia

I pretty much doubt that Malaysia could be a dry place.

An eventual radical climatic change making that part of the globe dry, perhaps :?:

Agustín Tomás

"We don't have 'dry' problems in the UK ."

Ohhhhhhhh! THAT'S why you guys are always carrying umbrellas in all those movies! I thought they were just some glut of British props that had to be used. :)

Here in southeast Missouri (US), humidity is always 90%+ during the summer. No static cling then!

Dean

earth/ground the pc and wear an antistatic wrist strap ,if your comfortable with it.

have the same problems before. when i learned that proper grounding solved it, i almost ground almost every appliances here in my house :lol: from PC, component, refrigerator, microwave oven, rice cooker :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back