Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Is there a way to set up the site to do this:
1. detect "PIC"
2. If users first post, bring them right to Nigels tutorials OR to the sticky about PICs.
3. else, post.

I just seems like 30% of the time you guys are having to reply to the same 1 post users asking what a PIC is and how to use it. While it is quite obvious to a normal person to use google and actually read, some people seem to have issues with problem solving. It just seems to me that the site is getting cluttered with these unnecessary posts. Or maybe just put an automatic link to the PIC sticky when they register, and hope that the put the effort into reading it.

Yes it can be done, although its not a standard feature on vbulletin, so an admin would have to get a mod for it.

The new guys probably found this site with Google, and just stop looking after posting their first question. The first stop for any device, would be the manufacturer's website for a datasheet and app notes. You always get the most current and accurate information, sometimes links to websites that focus on the device.

I have to admit it's a little annoying to see countless 'How do I program my PIC', then find out they don't know any programming, don't have a programmer, just the chip. I don't know how to deal with that, basically want to use a PIC, but no clue what the device is, or what they want to do with it.

I think a more visiable search function, a huge RED button, straight into the advanced search, full of tips and instructions on how to find specific topics. New users should be required to use the search at least once before posting the first question.

But regardless what is done, there will still be the same problem. Too many people looking for easy solutions.

Yes, it wouldn't eliminate the problem. But it would help, at least with the microcontrollers. There will always be people looking for easy solutions, unfortunately. Especially the night before their project is due. If Nigel could force the new members to look at some tutorials before posting, that would be great.

Actually, I just had an idea. I don't think it would need any mod to the site at all. Copy the tutorial sticky post into the user agreement that they have to read and check off at the bottom when they register. And if they still have to ask "what is a PIC?" then we know they have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back