Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spam attack offensive idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
How ironic that this thread has just been spammed by the above ......

I noticed that too. I appreciate that the moderators are so quick to clean it up, but there must be a way to prevent it in the first place....?

Noticed there's another spam attack going on right now. Mods are on top of it, as always, but is something being done to prevent it? It seems to be the same spammer every time (like I mentioned before). EM, if you're reading this thread, is there anything in the works that we should know about? Or Moderators, do you know anything you care to let us in on? ;)

This same spammer has been attacking for several months now, and I'm just curious if there are any permanent safeguards going into place in the near future.

Keep up the great work guys!

Regards,
Matt

It's problematic to block IP addresses because most folk get assigned them dynamically from their ISP. Sometimes to get a new one all you have to do is reset your router. Now blocking a MAC address makes more sense, but they can be spoofed too. Blacklisted MAC addresses would be best done at a switch.

MAC addresses are only visible on the local segment, you can't filter traffic which originates on another network by its MAC address so this suggestion only works if A) the spammer is physically located at the datacenter where ETO is hosted or B) the spammer gives the mods access to a managed switch or router at his house.

I noticed that too. I appreciate that the moderators are so quick to clean it up, but there must be a way to prevent it in the first place....?

As the spam is being cleaned up quickly, personally I dont see it as a problem.:confused:

If you see a suspect post, report it to Moderation, many members are already helping out by using the reporting procedure.

Its the Black triangle containing an exclamation mark, located on the bottom line of the Post window.

As the spam is being cleaned up quickly, personally I dont see it as a problem.:confused:

If you see a suspect post, report it to Moderation, many members are already helping out by using the reporting procedure.

Its the Black triangle containing an exclamation mark, located on the bottom line of the Post window.

I use the report triangle frequently when I see possible spammers posting. The problem is that I get a flood of emails because "this post I am subscribed to" has received a reply. It doesn't cause real harm, but it sure gets annoying :p

Thanks for your hard work guys.

Regards

I moderate on another forum - much bigger than this and using vbulletin software.

There is no easy way to stop the spammers getting through, they change their IP addresses, email addresses are different and they may even come from compromised or zombied computers.

It doesn't matter what protection you put in, they will always find a way around it.

Loving the way the spammers pick on this particular thread and I keep getting notifications from them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back