Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solderless Jumper Cable

JosefTheBuilder

Hello

Does anyone know any solderless cables to use in a microcontroller project that actually hold? Maybe some sort of clip on the connector that locks in place.

Thank you in advance!

Does anyone know any solderless cables to use in a microcontroller project that actually hold?
If the connections are not tight enough to stay in place, either the breadboard is no good or the connector pins are the wrong size.

Cheap breadboards often have very poor and inconsistent sockets, with some too loose to connect and others that it's almost impossible to fit a wire or pin in to.

Also many cheap header sockets have undersize "tail" pins - thin, flat ones only suitable for soldering, not stacking.

Whatever you do, do not rely on a solderless breadboard build for anything long term - they are only intended for short term use for testing, prototyping & demoing things etc.

You need to be far more specific, plugs and sockets?, crimps?, there are many methods - but a vague question is useless.
It is hard to be specific, because I am very flexible. I was thinking of some sort of jumper wire that attaches to a standard pin. Some sort of spring loaded mechanism would be ideal, but a screw would also work.
If the connections are not tight enough to stay in place, either the breadboard is no good or the connector pins are the wrong size.

Cheap breadboards often have very poor and inconsistent sockets, with some too loose to connect and others that it's almost impossible to fit a wire or pin in to.

Also many cheap header sockets have undersize "tail" pins - thin, flat ones only suitable for soldering, not stacking.

Whatever you do, do not rely on a solderless breadboard build for anything long term - they are only intended for short term use for testing, prototyping & demoing things etc.
It would be used long term, so a breadboard is not ideal. The only long term thing I could find are modified components that have sockets that screw in place.

It is hard to be specific, because I am very flexible. I was thinking of some sort of jumper wire that attaches to a standard pin. Some sort of spring loaded mechanism would be ideal, but a screw would also work.

It would be used long term, so a breadboard is not ideal. The only long term thing I could find are modified components that have sockets that screw in place.
Learn to solder, it's far easier than you think - and by far the best solution, and the most reliable.

Know a better solution?

Wire wrap.

You would need to solder the IC sockets or socket strips to anchor them & connect ground and power, plus decoupling caps & any other small components, but you can then do most of the remainder without an iron.

It's also very high density & exceptionally reliable.

And removing connections is as easy as making them, you just unwrap with the opposite end of the tool and add a new connection instead.

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

I know how to solder, but it's not allowed in my apartment. This would be the only option for me. I could attach some kind of crimps to the cables, or solder sockets to the components when I am in the lab. Know a better solution?

How can you not be allowed to solder?, why on earth would that be?, and how would they know?.

The stove has a fume hood? Tree resin smoke is not toxic.
Old POTS Telephone industry connects using solid wire pinch connectors or insulation displacement connectors (IDC). . The pinch blocks air and moisture at contact (gas-tight seal) which causes corrosion for indoor use. But is rather bulky.
A smart choice is the MCU boards with holes for soldered wires. But this is a skill to make tiny, secure , neat and have strain relief, if you use solid CAT wire to avoid brittle bending stress. Having connectors such as 8pin jacks that use inexpensive ethernet wire is one possible interface. Another option is to buy a suitable M-F cable with connectors and cut one end to solder to board with holes. Then connect close to board with pigtail wires to remote power and sensors. Relay boards use screw terminals. If you need
these, buy them.

But you ought to reconsider learning how to solder neatly.

I'm sure you can manage out on the balcony in a tent with your iron (lol)

or a hot plate and heat gun over the stove fume hood with SMD. Wire wrap is so passe.

Why would you care about his rental contract and what's your point in arguing about it? It's a common requirement in apartments with wood-frame construction in the US. No space heaters, candles, smoking, ...

And what's your point making such a stupid post?, a soldering iron isn't a fire hazard - certainly FAR less so that other appliances you're likely to have in your home.

As for wirewrap, can you even get it these days? - I haven't seen any for sale for decades - although perhaps the USA might still use it?.

And what's your point making such a stupid post?, a soldering iron isn't a fire hazard - certainly FAR less so that other appliances you're likely to have in your home.

As for wirewrap, can you even get it these days? - I haven't seen any for sale for decades - although perhaps the USA might still use it?.
it doesn't really matter what you believe will cause fire or not. It matters what the lease agreement says when the renter signs it (or when the condo buyer buys it).

People commonly get evicted after a landlord comes into an apartment to unclog a toilet and the landlord sees a forbidden item or activity.

Some use :

1703763307226.png

1703763339260.png

1703764064399.png

Of course there are specific package sockets used in dev work....

And age old pogo pins (make your own probe) :

1703763707333.png

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Yes - RS, Farnell, Digikey etc. all stock wire wrap IC sockets & socket strips etc.
Also most good quality stackable socket & headers etc. use pins of the same size.

The tools and wire are also readily available.
And, wire wrap is still the only acceptable assembly and repair method for some mil spec boards.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back