Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering - not my thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
deth502 said:
what kind of welding are you doing??

imo, oxy acet is prob the best way to start.

The course I'm taking covers the basics of oxy/acetylene, MIG, and stick. So far I feel most comfortable with O/A--and my best welds have all been fillerless too. I have a stick welder at home though, so that's what I use the most. I'm getting better with it. Still not ready for pipelining though. :)

i started on stick, then got a mig, then a oxy acet setup. hope to have a tig someday soon.

I'm hoping to convince the wife that I need an O/A rig at home. She does landscape design so hopefully she'll go for some homemade lamps and sundials.

Torben

Torben said:
I'm hoping to convince the wife that I need an O/A rig at home. She does landscape design so hopefully she'll go for some homemade lamps and sundials.

Torben

lol!!

o-a setups can be found used pretty cheap, its the price of the gas cylinders that gets you. luckily for me, the local supplier went out of business, and the place i worked for owned some tanks. the next nearest supplier would only deal with THEIR tanks that were leased from them, so i got their old owned tanks, and i have to drive about 20 min to get to a shop that will fill them for me :)

you can really get an eye for seeing the 2 base metals melt together with the o-a method!! the hardest part is not sticking the rod!!

At Sheffield there's an industrial museum called 'Kelham Island', which I've been to visit occasionally, it's quite an interesting place.

The reason for mentioning this, is that Sheffield is one of the most famous metal working cities in the world, and one of the exhibits there is a welding sample from a local college. It's basically a ring of various different metal segments, all welded together (imagine a dart board with a hole in the middle), then sawed through to make a nice even slice and polished. It's reason is to show that all sorts of difficult metals can be welded to each other (with sufficient skill), it's truely an impressive sample!.

Most of your equipment dealers have access to special rods used for wielding aluminum O/A. I believe a bronze alloy that has a low melting point and a special flux coating. Instead of wielding it's more brassing.

This stuff is slick and fast I have had to work with aluminum. What a pain just when your ready to apply the rod to your joint ? it's seems like ice to water 500btu's.

Boom it falls apart into a melted mass.

It works great also if you have to different composition's of aluminum with 2 different melting points.

To bad you don't have something to tell you surface temp. to give you a warning.

killivolt said:
To bad you don't have something to tell you surface temp. to give you a warning.

You mean like a **broken link removed**

Torben

More like an F-16 DLP display in a helmet ? Your next project maybe. :D

Cool I want one actually I happen to someone who worked on the Helmet. Then I got a chance to meet the guy who kept it secret when ever there was an inspection @ Hill AIR FORCE BASE during the Cold war era.

I starting thinking that you could mount a Thermal Laser @ Detector Assemble on the business end and pipe it to the display then you have instant messaging.

kv

Last edited:
killivolt said:
More like an F-16 DLP display in a helmet ? Your next project maybe. :D

Heh. I got myself a Miller Elite auto-darkening mask a couple of weeks ago which makes things a million times easier. I saw on one welding forum where a guy was asking for someone to make a mask with a clock display inside, since he often loses track of time while working and his wife gets upset. :)

It'll be a while before I hack the mask. It's a bit too new and expensive for that. If I get my hands on a used one for cheap, however, it's mod city. If I were to gut a distance thermometer and put the sensor and display inside the mask, I'd probably mount the bulk of the electronics on a hip pack to keep weight down.

I think it would mostly be for special projects though--for everyday work it would be a pain to put it on and take it off repeatedly.

Torben

wifi, wifi as long as you don't create any x-ray maybe ?

I know the military use some sort of gear to simulate real life combat. But I don't know the distance or the frequency. GiG probably the report of the rifle generates sound waves that can take stuff like that out ? It's kind of like laser tag.

Last edited:
I don't know talking to much again, I thought that you could send and receive info in the helmet that way ? I was thinking maybe the bulk could be mounted away from you to reduce weight.

Last edited:
killivolt said:
I don't know talking to much again, I thought that you could send and receive info in the helmet that way ?

Maybe. I suspect that it would need some pretty intense shielding to work that close to the arc though. And it may or may not weigh less than the circuitry it's supposed to be replacing.

Torben

Ok, well then work on a timer and rubber mallet assembly for me when I get in the shop so, I can remember that I have appointments with the wife. My dad always said my head was the hardest part on my body he he :D

i used to weld aluminium in my old job. one of the accesories we
made for model aircraft was a manifold to fit inside a radial cowl.
the body was 1"x2"x4" 2mm wall thickness, 2off 3/8" tubes 2mm
wall thickness (modeller to chop off the one they dont want)
and a manifold block milled and drill from 5/8"x1/2"x1.5". watching
for the sheen change on the ali as it was heated was quite a clue
but i also found the flux paste we used would dry as it the metal
was heated then very close to being ready for the welding it would
go liquid again. great fun took about half aday to learn not to turn
them into a molten lump. lololol

Regards

Fenris

Attachments

• manifold.JPG
    manifold.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 208