Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simplest sensing and warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagtoby

The body housing of a specific electronic equipment is cooled by air or by a liquid coolant.
The cooling media :
- if liquid, it enters the housing and passes through built in tubes provided all around housing and returns to a tank.
- If air, enters ....... out to atmosphere.

How to find whether flow takes place or not?
I need a warning signal in "no flow condition".

I don't prefer flowmeters temeperature monitoring for specific reasons.
Could somebody suggest a simplest way-reliable and less complicative.

yagtoby said:
The body housing of a specific electronic equipment is cooled by air or by a liquid coolant.
The cooling media :
- if liquid, it enters the housing and passes through built in tubes provided all around housing and returns to a tank.
- If air, enters ....... out to atmosphere.

How to find whether flow takes place or not?
I need a warning signal in "no flow condition".

I don't prefer flowmeters temeperature monitoring for specific reasons.
Could somebody suggest a simplest way-reliable and less complicative.

Two Thermisters, One Sensing Ambient Tem and the other sensing the Tube Temp. If the Tube Tem goes to high above Ambient tem, its a good indication that your flow has stopped.

chemelec said:
Two Thermisters, One Sensing Ambient Tem and the other sensing the Tube Temp. If the Tube Tem goes to high above Ambient tem, its a good indication that your flow has stopped.

That is OK, but maybe a better indication in the case of liquid flowing in pipes, measure the liquid temperature when it enters, and when it leaves the cooling pipes.
If there is a flow, the temperature of the liquid leaving the pipe will be hotter than the liquid entering the pipe.

JimB

Simplest flow sensing and warning

Are there any other methods apart from temperature measurements/monitoring.

hi yagtoby,

Is the cabinet cooled by air or liquid or both?

Is the cabinet already built/installed or is it being designed?

There are different solutions to the question if is air or a liquid coolant.

Which is it?, like to help you, but question/s is not clearly defined .

Regards
EricG

EDIT:
Read your latest post, understood. Eric
Why i insist on simplest method (warning signal) is not to add much weight and complicated gadgtry.

You can buy 'temperature switches' which close at a factory preset temperature, they come in a range of fixed 'temps'.
They are about 2.5cm cube, with 0.25" push on terminals.
You could fix one or more in the cabinets 'hot spots'
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi yagtoby,

Is the cabinet cooled by air or liquid or both?

Is the cabinet already built/installed or is it being designed?

There are different solutions to the question if is air or a liquid coolant.

Which is it?, like to help you, but question/s is not clearly defined .

Regards
EricG
The present version cabinet is liquid cooled, installed and in working condition.
Flow rate is not very much as less flow takes heat and thus good heat transfer.
Why i insist on simplest method (warning signal) is not to add much weight and complicated gadgtry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back