Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple confirmation of dead Mosfets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I have "another" PS I am working on. This one outputs 6 voltages. The main board is the primary PS and supplies DC voltage to a secondary board for regulation. Not sure what caused the failure but upon inspection, there were no visual signs of damage. I found one iN4004 rectifier diode that was out that seemed to be part of a small bridge for a few things. It was shorted.

I replaced and tested and was not getting power to to the main bridge. Power goes through a series of inductors, caps, etc, then to the bridge. There was a series 25W, 5ohm resistor that was dead and I rarely see that. I replaced the resistor kind of wondering what would have caused enough draw to do that...

Next test, the new resistor failed shortly after take off. Took a bit but I was first just testing for any output voltage and it was there so I then tried to test current to the circuit and it died at that point. I suspected a short in a pair of mosfets from the start.

The mosfets I pulled are IRFPC60. From gate to drain, one is 2 ohms the other is 15 ohms. Per my experience and the data sheet, I should not be conducting there and I just wanted to make sure that my "quick assessment method" was valid unless there is a resister in parallel for some reason? I guess when I check these in circuit, I simple test for shorting from gate to drain since that is a common failure mode. Should these not be all in the Mohms here? I have a bench tester that I made but falling apart and not thinking I need to go any further here. Gate to drain means " its in it to win i"!

Now, I have no idea where that power is going just yet since there is nothing connected to this board so I will have to look further on the matter.

While MOSFETs may have a resistor in parallel, I'd expect it to be in the order of a few thousand ohms.

2 or 15 ohms when unpowered sounds like a dead FET to me.

Andrew

It's an N channel fet so I would check it by grounding the gate and source leads together and checking the resistance (positive lead to the source) on a multimeter, it should read high impedance. With the gate and source grounded if you reverse your probe leads on the diode test mode you should read a single diode drop (the body diode) the off state impedance and body diode drop should be in the PDF for reference from the meter readings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back