Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Secant display backlight dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

I have this display from Secant and the display backlight is dead.
The touch screen is working and I can still see the information if i shine a light on it or in bright daylight. I figured it's only the LED or whatever is lighting the back of the display.
This is the complete unit (back of display bottom left):
secan1.jpg

Front of the display:
secan2.jpg

Am I right to think the two black wires are providing power to the backlight?
If it is, it's got to be AC voltage as the wires are coming out a the small transfo.
What should the voltage be? I'd like to feed the voltage directly to the display to rule out this part.

After removing the metal frame from the LCD I discovered the two black wires are going to what I found to be an EL backlight. It is plastified, doesn't look damaged and doesn't look like it even can get damaged. A bit of Google browsing shows that I can probably feed it with 110VAC to light it but I decided not to. after unpluging its wires I discovered the secondary is open on the small transformer which is obviously where the problem is although not sure about the cause.

The markings on the transfo is:
990201-06
ET 5181

It has 8 pins but only 4 are wired.
With the markings I cannot find anything on the net.
Primary is 3.4Ω

Anyone have a clue?

It would be a custom wound step up transformer. There's no easy way without unwinding the secondary and counting turns then rewinding it.

The easiest fix would be to buy a tiny EL backlight driver module, and just use that to power the backlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back