Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic to build a 4ma-20ma supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rperch

I would like to build a circuit using a 24VDC power supply that would give me an output of 4-20ma or wider range to supply the loop power to manually control a valve while a new controler is installed. My initial idea is to use a
24VDC Omron power supply with a 5K pot and a 1.2K resistor. I think this should work but is there something that would be better. This project would also provide us with a piece of equipment for bench testing. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

R. Perch

I would like to build a circuit using a 24VDC power supply that would give me an output of 4-20ma or wider range to supply the loop power to manually control a valve while a new controler is installed. My initial idea is to use a
24VDC Omron power supply with a 5K pot and a 1.2K resistor. I think this should work but is there something that would be better. This project would also provide us with a piece of equipment for bench testing. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

R. Perch

The DC supply is unlikely to work in the manner you mentioned, because you did not take into consideration the resistance of the valve actuator (unless I missed something). Why not build a current source with a variable output range? This can be done with an op-amp and transistor in the feedback loop. Typically they are considered voltage to current converters, and the voltage being converted is set by the potentiometer (thus giving you the desired output current).

Thanks for the reply, this looks to be what I want. Could you advise where I could look, for information for the parts and design of the circuit.

Thanks R. Perch

Yes, a simple 24vdc source and a variable 5k pot (suggest using a 10 turn precision pot) can power a loop powered 4-20ma device. However you will have to have a accurate DVM meter set to milliamps in series with the loop to see and measure what you are sending to the device as you adjust the pot. Lose the 1.2K resistor as you will never reach 20ma because of the added resistance of the loop connected device.

Lefty

Great information guys, I'm a plant electrician at a new Ethanol plant, and have never been involved with instrumentation before thanks for the support.

R. Perch

I have this very simple solution using only one bjt.

With your window og 4 - 25 mA, you'll have to find out the voltage over the resistor. What value, let me guess 100 ohms. Lowest voltage must be U_R.low = I.low * R = 4mA * 100ohms = 400mV. The highest voltage is U_R.high = I.high * R = 20mA * 100ohms = 2V.

Because of the voltage follower, we don't care about the voltage drop from base-emitter, the opamp will handle that.

Then you'tt have to put your 5k potmeter in series with two resistors. One above and one belove. The potmeter will work in a voltage window of 2v - 0.4v = 1,6v. That means the current through R.var = 1.6V/5kΩ = 0.32mA.

Value of R2 must then be 0.4v/0.32mA = 1250Ω. Value of R1 must be: (24v-2V)/0.32mA = 68.75kΩ.

That means you can use your 1.2kΩ resistor get litle less then 4mA minimum, and you can use a 68k (or a 82k) resistor.

Attachments

• VariableCurrentOpamp2.jpg
    VariableCurrentOpamp2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 9,876
Last edited:
Thanks Grossel, I 'm going to try experimenting with the circuit you provided, I had something else that I was thinking of using but have been unable to attach a copy of it to a reply to get another opinion, its a bmp file.

regards R.Perch

Hi,

with this circuit you don't have to experiment.

I suppose the valve is driven by 24V and requires a control signal from 4 to 20mA connected to a burden resistor in the control circuit converting the 4 to 20mA to a control voltage of 2 to 10V.

This circuit does the same.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• 4mA.gif
    4mA.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 5,812
  • 20mA.gif
    20mA.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 14,708
Just a note the voltage output needs to remain constant, close to 24VDC and the current needs to be variable 4-20ma or greater in range. I've opted to use an LM317 and as stated before and have made up a schematic using MicroSoft Paint but I don't know how to attach it to a message so I can get some opinions on it.

Thanks R. Perch

I'm trying to build a 4-20ma supply to manually control an actuated control valve while we have the automatic controller repaired. the device is in a 24VDC self powered control loop. When I've checked the voltage from the analog output card it has been close to 22-23 volts. I've checked the current in the loop but I never looked at the voltage / current values at the same time.

R.Perch

Last edited:
The valve has an electronic current transducer that controls the air pressure to the pneumatic actuator that controls the position of the valve.

R.perch

Last edited:
I presume, if to be preset constant current source, the setting range being 4 to 20mA. In such case, the voltage will vary.

We have about six diferent types and this way of control is an industry standard. They are called current to pressure transducers, they are Mfg. by ABB, Foxboro, to name a few. As mentioned before they are rated for 24VDC /4-20ma analog input. The ABB Model is a TZID-C, Type V18345-20222420001.

R. Perch

R. Perch

Mr. Perch,

As I had mentioned before, and somebody posted, an op amp with a bjt in the feedback loop is one way to do this.

A more efficient method would be to simply use an IC that does this internally for you. The XTR-110 from Burr-Brown (now TI), is just such a circuit. You merely connect a pot to it and power, and it will then provide the current loop for you. Here is a link to the data sheet:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/xtr110.pdf

Hi Boncuk,

I have the same application as you had mentioned. I am being beginner in electronics, could you please give a line diagram (schematic) for how to exactly connect the LM317, R1(62.5ohms) and R2 (Pot,250Ohms).

Thanks & Regards,
KanLok

For a commercial application I like using these units. However, if you want a roll your own circuit later today when I get to work I'll post part of a drawing for a small voltage driven (ten turn pot) with a 4 to 20 mA out loop I have been using on valves. I also like the Calex units I linked to.

<Edit> I found the attached. The negative can be dropped and just the op amp and one transistor can be used. The values would need modified but the general idea is here. </EDIT>

Ron

Attachments

• Current Source.gif
    Current Source.gif
    12 KB · Views: 3,924
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back