Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sandbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Do member accounts have an associated private sandbox where posts can be tried out without being on view generally. This would be useful for trying out posts, especially with attachments and when usung BB code for example. I have looked for this facility and can't find it but that could be my fault.

Last edited:
That's what the edit button is for--If you don't like how it looks, you can go back and edit.

There is also a "Preview" function before actually posting. Click the "More Options..." button on the bottom right:

upload_2015-11-9_10-6-7.png

Then on the new page that appears, below the editor, click the "Preview..." button:

upload_2015-11-9_10-6-46.png

Hope this helps.

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I did know about preview but that is not what I was after. I would like a facility like on Wikipedia. The reason is that it is handy to build up a few posts, especially complex ones, over a period of time. I know that you can assemble a post locally in another progam like Word for example, but that is not the same and does not fully represent the final rendering.

It's just me, but I can check an off-line post a million times but as soon as I post it, I nearly always spot a mistake, especially with schematics. I know many people think that they are dyslexic, but I really am- to a degree that is. These two look the same to me, the & teh. Thank goodness for spell checkers!

Appriciate your time

Chuck

Last edited:
Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I did know about preview but that is not what I was after. I would like a facility like on Wikipedia. The reason is that it is handy to build up a few posts, especially complex ones, over a period of time. I know that you can assemble a post locally in another progam like Word for example, but that is not the same and does not fully represent the final rendering.

It's just me, but I can check an off-line post a million times but as soon as I post it, I nearly always spot a mistake, especially with schematics. I know many people say that they are dyslexic, but I really am- to a degree that is. These two look the same to me the & teh. Thank goodness for spell checkers!

Appriciate your time

Chuck

Ah, I see what you're saying. That could be a useful feature. Curious what dmiyares would think of that....

Matt

So glad you agree. I get some fancy ideas some times. I take it that dmiyares is the main man on ETO.

Thanks again

Chuck

So glad you agree. I get some fancy ideas some times. I take it that dmiyares is the main man on ETO.

Thanks again

Chuck

Yes, he is one of the site administrators. The original admin ElectroMaster was overwhelmed and had lots of other things he wanted to do, so WTWH purchased the site and has been taking care of it since the transition. Dave (dmiyares) is one of the people in charge.

I just Googled WTWH- quite a big operation!

Your allowed to edit your post for a fair amount of time and yep, posting inevitably brings up typos.

The EDIT window is not the same as the regular window.
The forum's software is Xenforo is from the authors of Vbulliten. They are separate "companies".
Tags that may be different.
LATEX=MATH
PLAIN=NOPARSE

You can't expand links when printing.

Your allowed to edit your post for a fair amount of time and yep, posting inevitably brings up typos.

The EDIT window is not the same as the regular window.
The forum's software is Xenforo is from the authors of Vbulliten. They are separate "companies".
Tags that may be different.
LATEX=MATH
PLAIN=NOPARSE

You can't expand links when printing.

Good points.

If I type a post and leave it for over around 5 minutes and then try to submit, the site throws up a security violation. If I do refresh with Ctrl/F5 (win7/Firefox) the system continues to throw up a security violation. I have log in again and then the post will be accepted. But often the posting window doesn't contain all the latest text. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Do you by chance have the box to stay logged in not checked?

I have seen the "security violation", but don't know what the circumstances are. I believe it's as you say, a long time that the editing widow is open.

spec said:
But often the posting window doesn't contain all the latest text.

You might notice that refreshing may brig up a blank text box, but when you click in the window, the text might appear. I think sometimes it appears as gray. If you loose something, you can even go back to the post like you did (re-log in or navigate to it) and it re-appears.

This is a Xenforo thing. VB will lose everything.

I have to do this often because I have two Toshiba A665 series laptops that occasionally treat the left shift as control. e.g. A LEFT-SHIFT R or W gets interpreted as a control R which refreshes the page. One was serviced by Toshiba (new KB(2x), HD, motherboard). It happens with Windows and Linux. You can't duplicate it, so you can't fix it. Capital R's and W's are rare. Wndows in this message and Regards (which makes it quite common for me) in emails.

When I compose emails, I often loose a lot more if it's not in Drafts.[/quote][/quote]

Do you by chance have the box to stay logged in not checked?

I have seen the "security violation", but don't know what the circumstances are. I believe it's as you say, a long time that the editing widow is open.

Hi Keep,

It does the security violation thing whether stay logged in ticked or unticked. The funny thing is that when it throws up the problem according to ETO I'm still logged in. :(

You might notice that refreshing may brig up a blank text box, but when you click in the window, the text might appear. I think sometimes it appears as gray. If you loose something, you can even go back to the post like you did (re-log in or navigate to it) and it re-appears.

It varies but mostly reverts to the old text. The scenario is start typing→ phone rings→ look up reference again → start typing → Kaspersky pops up and says malicious software has been detected → type some more → the laptop freezes→ start typing→ ETO says security violation→ have a beer...

I just transfered 330 GB of files to the second drive on the laptop and it seems a lot happier now. Only had about 600Mb left spare out of 1TB on the main drive. Been meaning to sort it out for some time.

This is a Xenforo thing. VB will lose everything.

I have to do this often because I have two Toshiba A665 series laptops that occasionally treat the left shift as control. e.g. A LEFT-SHIFT R or W gets interpreted as a control R which refreshes the page. One was serviced by Toshiba (new KB(2x), HD, motherboard). It happens with Windows and Linux. You can't duplicate it, so you can't fix it. Capital R's and W's are rare. Wndows in this message and Regards (which makes it quite common for me) in emails.

When I compose emails, I often loose a lot more if it's not in Drafts.

Have you done a disk clean up recently- I am surprised how effective that is for soothing a PC. The latest version of Adobe Reader messed up my Len T520 laptop- typical Adobe effect. The latest Firefox doesnt update properly either so you have to download the update file and re install locally. Happend on two PCS now. I'm still on Win 7 and have been putting off the upgrade to Win 10. Luckily my son is a software/PC guru, so if I get really stuck he sorts it out, often remotely over the net.

I had terible troubles uploading files on ETO at first, but little by little I got it sorted, but I still have no idea how to do a signature- simply can't find it. :confused:

Last edited:
I've been running Linux off a CD since June 2013. Every time I have to boot, I essentially start fresh. I have my "stuff" on a qnap NAS. 5 TB of RAID from three 3 TB drives, Microsoft (Windows) Security essentials (free) does a pretty nice job. I'd suggest running in Safe mode with no networking at least once.

I HOPE your not running IE. Try Mozilla Firefox. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Take a look at the top right of the page: <your handle> Inbox and Alerts.

Mouse over <your Handle>

've been running Linux off a CD since June 2013. Every time I have to boot, I essentially start fresh. I have my "stuff" on a qnap NAS. 5 TB of RAID from three 3 TB drives, Microsoft (Windows) Security essentials (free) does a pretty nice job. I'd suggest running in Safe mode with no networking at least once.

Why CD?

Yeah, NAS is the way to go. I've had all the NAS bits for a year now, but my son is too busy with fianceé to build it for me. Still perhaps he will get me another drive for it as an Xmas present.

Have been in safe mode a couple of times off-line recently while trying to chase off some malware which turned out to be a sneak program that gets installed with Alcohol 52%: Smart File Advisor- have you had it?

I HOPE your not running IE. Try Mozilla Firefox.

No, running FF. I was on IE for years, then FF, then Chrome, then back to FF. Chrome is the best performer but FF has the best facilities, especially bookmark management which I use a lot. But for any heavy downloading etc use Chrome.

Also, the touch-pad settings kept dissapearing on boot up but got that sorted too.

Take a look at the top right of the page: <your handle> Inbox and Alerts.

Mouse over <your Handle>

Still don't get it. What am I missing? :wideyed:

By the way, will reply to your pm soon.

Last edited:
When you "mouse over" your handle don;t you get:
Personal Details Your news feed
Signature Convrsations
etc....

Click on Signature

Because I haven't spent the time to figure out how to install Linux on an internal SSD. You have to make some changes so it minimizes writes to the SSD.

My NAS is this: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/QNAP/TS-569_Pro/ Unfortunately, it can't/won't incorporate an ATSC tuner/

To the ETO moderators and managers.

I'm currently working on a post off-line, but really do need to set it up/try it out before posting formally. This is a case where a sandbox is sorely needed.

Can I ask this question: would it be acceptable to start a thread titled, say, 'spec sandbox' in say the members lounge or elsewhere as advised, where I could do this.

Once the work is complete the contents could be deleted and a place holder word, say 'sandbox' posted to keep the facility available for future use.

If you already have the post drafted out, then why can't you copy it in to the reply box here on ETO and use the Preview feature? I know we discussed this earlier, but seeing as the post is already written, you should be able to preview it now without posting it.

Thanks for speedy reply.

(Bob Widlar meets Nicola Tesla- like the Xmas hat :))

The off-line version does not render as it does on a final ETO post and similarly the preview doesn't either. I don't know if it is something at this end but when images are posted some odd rendering occurs and the ETO user interface seems to operate in different modes at different times. Plain text though is fine.

My immediate problem is that I can't seem to get a link to YouTube to render just as the link text. Instead it renders the you tube video screen as an image.

Also I would like to get with some of the fancy BB code stuff and formula generation and generally learn and experiment without necessarily posting formally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back