Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rs232 communication with hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak246

Assuming i have already made a serial interface and have used it to connect my project to a PC, how do i communicate with hyperterminal. Do i need to send specific bytes first to initiate communication or do any sort of setup?, or just send a start bit? If there is some sort of set of various communications i need to make to ensure it works right, is there a link someone can give me to a list of them? Thanks.

hyperterminal is nothing but a "dumb terminal"... it just directly displays the data that is coming in on the serial port as ASCII characters. and every possible data packet you can send it has an ASCII character associated with it... as long as you have it set to the right baud rate/etc. it will work with zero overhead.

You work with ASCII characters in hyperterminal, and not bits. The serial channel is transparent to you once it's properly set-up, ie the baudrate, no of bits per packet etc.

sorry to bump a super old thread, but it proves i was searching ;)

I need to send BCD data out of com1 to a device, as i understand this is not possible with hyperterminal after much fussing around i discovered it sends in ascii only.

will realterm do this? the send numbers features looks like what i want to do, or actually the dump file and the looping feature. But will it send BCD?

I don't have my setup right here or i'd try it, however i'd appreciate any guidance in sending bcd data over com1 to a device.

I recall I used miniterm on linux.
which is available in source form. its a single file
miniterm.c which is easy to understand and modify.
you will find options in it like canonical mode etc. which will
let you send anything on the port. i mean any binary data.

but ofcourse its for linux and it appears you are using windows.

bonanz said:

I need to send BCD data out of com1 to a device, as i understand this is not possible with hyperterminal after much fussing around i discovered it sends in ascii only.

will realterm do this? the send numbers features looks like what i want to do, or actually the dump file and the looping feature. But will it send BCD?

I don't have my setup right here or i'd try it, however i'd appreciate any guidance in sending bcd data over com1 to a device.

You can send raw hex bytes with realterm, and that's all you need.
just convert your bcd value to hex and send

bonanz said:

What do you mean by 'BCD'?, it's a very 'abused' term, and not really relevent to a PC?.

So what EXACTLY do you want to send?, please give examples.

Any terminal program sends out esentially the same thing, 8 bit numbers between 0 and 255, the only problems arise when either end of the link treats certain values as control codes.

sorry i wasn't clear as I wasn't sure, but realterm worked like a charm for my purposes. I needed to send raw hex apparently, but i wasn't sure of that, but i was sure that hyperterminal only sent ascii and all i knew was that wasn't right ;)

thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back