Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RPM Pulse Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboss85

Hello Everyone,
I have a Comair fan with speed sensor output of +5VDC @ 2 Pulse per rev and I am trying to replace it with an alternate which has a speed sensor output of +72VDC @ 6 Pulse per rev. I need some kind of pulse converter in between to translate the signal. Can someone shed some light on this matter? It is not necessary to speed control the fans, we can have them running at full speed all the time. We only need to monitor the reported RPM.

Our quantity required is around 200pcs so this could be a paid job if someone can undertake it on turnkey basis.

I'll go out on a limb here as you haven't given any model information, but the EBM TD series fans and quite a few others, generally use an open collector output with an external load resistor to interface to their respective speed controllers. You should simply be able to dimension the external load resistor to meet your existing 5v sensor supply. I would take care of the pulse count conversion using a small PIC micro to generate an acceptable pulse width for your existing controller. A bit more information would be helpful, like fan model information, existing speed controller etc :)

I am trying to replace it with an alternate which has a speed sensor output of +72VDC @ 6 Pulse per rev. I need some kind of pulse converter in between to translate the signal. Can someone shed some light on this matter?
www.rctopshop.com

We can all make various suggestions, but unless you provide some more information it's not going to be easy to help you achieve your goal. At the least we need to know what fan model you currently have and what fan model you plan on upgrading to :) I did attempt to shed some light on the matter for you with my last post, not useful to you?

You've told us the fan brands, but not the models.
What do the labels on the fans say?

I believe this link is a start to what is needed. This is why the exact fan model is required. If you are 100% sure about that pulse amplitude then something can be designed relatively simple. Knowing the exact model makes things go better, much better. Now if all you want is to take 72 volt pulses at 6 pulses per revolution and convert to what you had of 5 volt pulses at 2 per revolution then that is simple enough. However, if someone agrees to build 200 widgets to convert those numbers and it turns out the pulses aren't 72 volts then who has the problem?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back