Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing automotive diodes

hawkinsa

I am trying to repair a courtesy light/switch in a 2005 Honda Pilot. Continuity/bypass testing seems to indicate that the diode on the switch assembly is bad. The only marking on the diode is "46". Light assembly is stamped 12Volts 5Watts. I believe this is a regular diode and not a zener diode.

I am trying to locate/order a replacement diode however not finding a specific match.
Suggestions or recommendations?
Thank you!

I am trying to repair a courtesy light/switch in a 2005 Honda Pilot. Continuity/bypass testing seems to indicate that the diode on the switch assembly is bad. The only marking on the diode is "46". Light assembly is stamped 12Volts 5Watts. I believe this is a regular diode and not a zener diode.

I am trying to locate/order a replacement diode however not finding a specific match.
Suggestions or recommendations?
Thank you!
Photo?

Photo attached

Attachments

• 20240418_071426.jpg
    20240418_071426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
You can try replacing it. I'd use a 2A standard diode. The leads and body look too fat for a simple 1N4001 to 1N4007 range.

Also, are you sure it's the problem? Is this the switch by the driver's left knee? To toggle the dome light from always-on to off to on-when-door is open? Or the door switch.

Thank you the suggestion.
I believe the diode to be the problem as I can establish continuity with the switch in On position and jumper wire over diode connection points. Light assembly/switch are for the rear liftgate/cargo area which ties in with other courtesy lights and has manual switch override.

Latest threads

Back