Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repeat and Reverse Cycles for Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEVETS

I am currently setting up a test that requires the given (Picture below) motor setup to run one direction for about a minute or until limit switch is triggered then reverse direction for about a minute or until limit switch in triggered. These cycles should be able to run for at least 8hrs. Any input in the easiest way to make this happen? Limit switches can be removed if some sort of controller would be more effective. I Have very limit circuit creating abilities. Thanks.

Attachments

• MOTORWIRING.JPG
    MOTORWIRING.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 146
I do this to remotely open and close my drive-through 12ft swing gate using a DC motor push-pull actuator. I used an Arduino to accelerate the gate smoothly (huge inertia), de-accelerate it slowly, cause it to creep toward its mechanical stop at low speed, sense overload current, reverse the motor, time the swing and shut things off if the gate hasn't arrived in 35sec, debounce the input switch, etc, etc.

The Arduino platform is ideal for a project like this...

You did not say what the motor voltage is?

This is an easy problem to solve.

First you need a 24 hour timer so the electricity comes ON when you want it on and goes OFF 8 hours later when you want it off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intermatic...599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fc599897

Buy a dual adjustable on/off timer relay. This relay will be set at 1 minute. It will be ON for 1 minute then OFF for 1 minute. The relay has 2 sets of NO and NC contacts only rated for 3 amps. If your motor pulls more than 3 amps at a different voltage use the timer relay to turn on/off a motor starter. A 0-5 minute timer is more accurate than a 0-30 minute timer for a low setting of 1 minute.

**broken link removed**

Next you need a delay timer relay to give the motor about 3 to 5 seconds to stop before changing directions. Do an ebay search for potter and brumfield timer relays a 0-5 second timer will work best. Wire this relay in the circuit to give the motor a change to stop before it changes directions. This relay has 2 sets of contacts also NC and NO. You need to wire contacts from both relays in series so the motor comes to a stop each time it changes directions.

**broken link removed**

Check motor amps so you can buy the correct size motor starter. There are lots of used parts on Ebay at a very reasonable price. Put your limit switch in series with the motor starter.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
The motor specs are 115v AC @60hz 1.5 amps. "These cycles should be able to run for at least 8hrs" is not important, I will just cut power to the unit when testing is finished for that day. what is important is the forward and reverse cycles. Because of this I could skip the 24hr timer and just use the dual adjustable time and delay timer relay? gary350

gary350 I have looked into the parts you have recommended and will most likely use this method, is there any way you could inform me a little more on the details of how to wire this set up?

gary350 I have looked into the parts you have recommended and will most likely use this method, is there any way you could inform me a little more on the details of how to wire this set up?

I will need to know exactly what this is going to do before I can make a circuit drawing. Will you manually turn it ON and let it run for 8 hours with the motor changing directions every 1 minute all day?

If there are no limit switch (i.e. you try to do it by time only), the position will creep (accumulate error). You need a limit switch at least at one end of the travel, preferably both ends.

What makes your AC motor change direction of rotation?

Does it have 2 wires you can swap to make it rotate in the other direction?

I will need to know exactly what this is going to do before I can make a circuit drawing. Will you manually turn it ON and let it run for 8 hours with the motor changing directions every 1 minute all day?
This is correct, I will manually turn on the unit and let it run for 8 hours then manually power off the unit, during those 8 hours I need to run cycles, aprox. 1min forward then 1min reverse and repeat. Right now the unit is wired with a momentary contact SPDT switch which allows the motor to be driven forward and backwards, so yes there are two wires that will allow the motor to reverse direction. I assume I will need some sort of relay to automation the toggle between forward and backwards for the 1 minute cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back