Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend PCB manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I designed a PCB using ExpressSCH and ExpressPCB. After spending a massive amount of time designing the 3"x 5" 2 layer board,I learned that the company I downloaded the design software from wants to charge $70 per board.

1) Is this a reasonable price?

2) If not, please recommend another manufacturer. Ideally, I would like the manufacturer to accept .sch and .pcb files.

Have you tried making it smaller? If you are willing to share the design here I expect we can help you cut it down maybe by as much as 1/2 unless it is a power board with a lot of large parts like relays.

I use OSHpark which charges $5 a sq inch but you get 3 copies of the board for that.

That cost for three identical boards seems consistent with Express's advertised rates. As noted, size may be an issue.

As for using another manufacturer, can the ExpressPCB files be exported? The Express site isn't clear on that point, but I vaguely recall that some freeware ties you into using a particular manufacturer.

John

Have you tried making it smaller? If you are willing to share the design here I expect we can help

I'm imagine I can replace some of the larger resistors with smaller ones. C1 is 4700 uF.

Attachments

• PCB.png
    PCB.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 310
I use eagle so I can not help you work with the files.

You can easily shrink this board by 50%. I would start by moving the large cap and the pizeo buzzer to the back side of the PCB if you can. I see physically large resistors connected with tiny traces. This does not make sense.

Look at other PCB layouts and see what you can do different too.

Edit: by all means. Use the smallest resistors the circuit will be happy with. For logic circuits I use 1/8 watt through hole resistors for through hole designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back