Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RAM usage for FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Got a quick question here about conceptual FPGA development. Is external RAM realy only used when you symthesize a microprocessor on an FPGA? If you are doing mostly most parallel processing and things like you would be using mainly distributed memory I would think and so you wouldn't really need external RAM.

I ask because I'm trying to lay out an FPGA module and sourcing and wiring up the RAM is kind of a pain and risky as far as the PCB fab costs goes.

FPGAs typically have distributed and block RAM. It's not common to require external RAM. You can instantiate all kinds of FIFO's, dual-ports, etc, using only on-chip resources.

Of course, that depends on your design and the FPGA selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back