Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick pic input question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2camjohn said:
If I have an input to my chip which is supposed to drive a high load will this damage the pic in any way? or is the pics input impedance very high?

If so what do i do to stop this?

Thanks

The PIC's input impedance is very high, but you need to be more explicit about what you are feeding into to be sure you're not going to damage it.

If the output from the other board does not go above the PIC's Vcc supply rail nor go below GND voltage, then the PIC's input will remain in high impedance.

If the limits are exceeded, the protective diodes will start to conduct and will be destroyed if the currents are excessive. Adding series resistors to limit this current would be advisable.

motion said:
If the output from the other board does not go above the PIC's Vcc supply rail nor go below GND voltage, then the PIC's input will remain in high impedance.

If the limits are exceeded, the protective diodes will start to conduct and will be destroyed if the currents are excessive. Adding series resistors to limit this current would be advisable.

Exactly, it may not be required (depending on the output of the other board), but a series resistor won't do any harm in any case.

Beware

Oh it gets worse than that.

A +5V reg may not be designed to sink current if something else tries to raise the voltage. So if the diode to Vdd conducts, it can raise Vdd above 5v, which will mess with your ADC readings, and if it goes above 7v, total latchup that even the WDT can't fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back