Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions Re: m25pe80 + tlc5940

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q__Hybrid

Hi,

I am planning a project that will utilize the Texas Instruments LED Display Driver "TLC5940," which requires serial data packets that are 192-bits in size to define the brightness values of its 16 channels.

I am going to be driving a rather massive Common Annode LED matrix with dimensions in the ballpark of 96 x 48, possibly even more. I plan on drawing the output image in one pass from top to bottom using the scanline method. Each scanline would be drawn in one shot.

This requires fast, serial-out memory, so I want to use the eye-popping M25PE80 Serial Flash Memory from ST to handle all of the brightness value data.

In order to use the least number of chips, I want to place TLC5940s along the smaller dimension of the display, which in this case will be the horizontal axis.

I want to display animation with a framerate of 30 frames per second and a refresh rate of 60Hz. This means I have to completely draw each frame one scanline at a time twice within 1/30th of a second.

The maximum speed of the switching on the TLC5940 is 30MHz, which is compatible with (but less than) the max speed of the M25PE80, but I'm worried this won't be enough to display what I've indicated above.

I'm stymied as to what precise speed is required in order to accomplish this goal. Once I figure that out I can move on from there.

Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back