Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Putting A PIC16F84A to good use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafifne_plz

Greetings all.
Recently I was introduced to the extensive world of Microcontrollers, through one of my classes at Devry. For this class, I am required to come up with a project using the PIC 16F84A. Having no previous knowledge reguarding PIC's, I am at a bit of a loss. Like the good technician I am :roll: , I went out and did some research on what kinds of things can be done with this microcontroller; I got results, but nothing really stood out.

As of now, I have a basic understanding of programming and I have a board/PIC to program to. It is the PIC-EL 160 board that can be found at https://www.amqrp.org/elmer160/board/index.html. I have had great succes with this board and the Elmer 160 labs. This left me wondering about the potential this board might have.

Here is where you guys come in :wink: . So far, I found some nifty motor control circuits, temp sensors, and various sensory alarms. I saw a few pages on simple games, but there was much info other than where to buy the kit. If anyone has some suggestions for a project, mabey some kind of game that could make use of the PIC-EL's onboard speaker, and LCD, that would be great.

:lol: that is preciselly what you should be doing, putting youe imagination to work :lol: not us :D but try giving a look at Nigel's page if you don't know how to work with LCD's and Speakers i think he's the one that can help you more :D check is webpage its very handy if u still need to learn something more to build up a game if the problem is imagination then, you're helpless :lol:

A project that I recently did with some friends is to make a binary clock.
6 LEDs for seconds, 6 LEDs for minutes, 5 LEDs for hours. It's pretty awesome. Check it out at http://www.pkfx.com/bc.
We havent posted the code for it yet, as the timing isn't quite right yet. We strobed the LEDs so that the seconds, minutes, and hours are each on for 1/3 the time, that way we use very few control lines.

Another project you could do would be to make a network cable tester. Cat 5 network cable. To make sure the ends are crimped on correctly, so that each twisted pair on one end matches up correctly on the other end.

You could also make a small scale traffic light controller. red green yellow LEDs for direction X, RGY LEDs for direction Y. Maybe add some turning leading green arrows, maybe push buttons for a crosswalk. All kinds of fun stuff.

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back