Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Considering buying Oshonsoft suite-Is it any good?

djsb

Hi,
I've just joined this forum specifically as it has an Oshonsoft sub forum. I've been looking at the Oshonsoft Simulator and basic compiler for a while. Now that I've found this forum, I will have a good read of the posts and install the PIC16 evaluation software.
I mainly use PIC16 and the CCS C compiler, and also Arduino MCU's. I have some experience of PIC assembly language. Oshonsoft seems to be good value at around £60 for the full suite. How does it compare to something like Great Cow Basic. Can assembly language produced by the Oshonsoft basic compiler be used with the Microchip assembler. Is the IDE, simulator and compiler stable? Is the support good and are updates fairly regular? Sorry for all the questions. Just doing some basic research before I spend my money. Thanks.

Hello; I use it as a hobby and for educational purposes.
For professional use, use C.
It works reasonably well and has several updates a year.
I don't know of other platforms that are similar to compare it with.
I'm sorry I can't help you with more information.

Last edited:
There are a few people who are enthused by it, but it has been almost 60 years since I have written a BASIC program. I'm probably the wrong person to opine on this subject, being one of the bare metal types.

Look at Swordfish Basic. It's a powerful compiled basic similar to Visual Basic. It works with most PIC18F- series micros and is kept up-to-date by tumbleweed .

The "special edition" free trial version has very generous limits to the point that many users never feel the need to upgrade to the paid version.

I've used the Oshonsoft IDE for many years. It is fine for most simple projects. Of course, one's programming skills will determine how well you can manipulate the PIC code.
I've also converted some Oshonsoft code to GCB, not much different overall. Some differences with built in routines, but manageable. I find GCB is a bit more compact in final code size. However, I stick to the Oshonsoft due to the IDE/Simulator features. It is easier to debug code with a visible PIC pinout diagram and watching the output pins or toggling an input pin. Simulator has a few minor issues, so watch carefully for interrupt routines or UART functions.

Hi,
I've just joined this forum specifically as it has an Oshonsoft sub forum. I've been looking at the Oshonsoft Simulator and basic compiler for a while. Now that I've found this forum, I will have a good read of the posts and install the PIC16 evaluation software.
I mainly use PIC16 and the CCS C compiler, and also Arduino MCU's. I have some experience of PIC assembly language. Oshonsoft seems to be good value at around £60 for the full suite. How does it compare to something like Great Cow Basic. Can assembly language produced by the Oshonsoft basic compiler be used with the Microchip assembler. Is the IDE, simulator and compiler stable? Is the support good and are updates fairly regular? Sorry for all the questions. Just doing some basic research before I spend my money. Thanks.
If you're already familiar with C and C++, then why not just use MPLAB and the XC series compilers?, faster than using basic, many more users of it, almost all examples and application notes use it, and it's free!.

Hi,
Hi D,
I use the Oshonsoft suite, and for me it's great, as I can only use BASIC. I'm not sure if it will work with other program languages?
If you are capable of learning 'C' I would learn it.
I gather that MPLAB is worth looking into.
If you're just starting in programming look at both, and try to compare them. You can use the Oshonsoft suite free for 'I think' 30 goes. Get an example program, and watch the Simulator run through it, showing you which line you're on while also showing the variables changing and with microcontroller view whatch the pins change.
If you can't find an example program, I can post one for you.
Cheers, C.

The choice depends on your specific requirements. For students and hobbyists, Great Cow is of course a better choice. Because it is open-source.
Hi T,
I just looked at Great cow, and it does look good, but I'm stuck in time so I'll stay with Oshonsoft.
Does GC have a simulator? I rely on the Osh one.
C

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back