Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU regulaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I am currently building a new power supply for my laptop. I have a 12.8 volt transformer, 50 Volt 6A Rectifier, and two 1000 uF capacitors. The problem is I need regulation, whats the simplest way to regulate this supply? Most IC regulators I've seen can't handle the current I need which is 4amps. Can I use a zener diode, and are the capacitors enough filtering?

Thanks

The laptop specs are 10.6 volts @ 3.5 amps. But I can run it at 12.8 volts at 4A works perfectly!

Use a normal regulator (7812) with a Pass Transistor to get higher output current.

Google will get you circuits

I'm using an Adjustable Voltage Regulator LM317T which has a maximum output current of 1.5A. How would I increase this to say 4A with a 5A surge? Would I need transistors? Can I buy them at radioshack if possible?

Use LM338K, which is good for 5 amps. You will also need about 30,000uF to get the unregulated ripple down to about a volt, which is about all you can tolerate. Don't forget a big heatsink, because you will be dissipating 12-15 watts in the regulator. You might want to think about a switching regulator, which would be much more efficient.

It can probably run at 12v since I expect it has a switching regulator inside. But it may not be working as well as it should. You may be risking blowing up the computer's internal regs.

As noted, this is a crapload of heat for a linear reg. This is basically impractical to run this way. It would take a huge power transistor, heatsink, and makes a ton of heat. The alternative of a switcher is often a tricky beast but it's a more reasonable solution.

IMHO this whole project is not practical. Just get a new supply on eBay? It will be far cheaper, safer, and better packaged. There's just too much risk of blowing the laptop and laptops usually need easily portable supplies. If it's a new computer you certainly don't want to damage it, if it's ancient then eBay will have those supplies for next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back